On Sunday, the people of Templeorum, outside Piltown marked the 200th anniversary of the building and opening of their beautiful parish church, the interior of which is modelled on the Catholic Cathedral in Waterford city, designed by the renowned architect Sir. John Robert. Its distinction merited a special commentary by the highly respected architect and writer on the subject the late Maurice Craig.
The Mass was lead by Bishop of Ossory, Seamus Freeman, along with parish priest Fr Paschal Moore, curates Fr Richard Brennan and Fr John Condon and Fr. Nicholas Flavin, whose family are closely associated with Templeorum. Fr Flavin’s late uncle Perri was the last blacksmith in the village. He and his brother Jim made the main entrance gates of the church. Also present were Fr Frank Purcell, a native of Owning and Fr. Michael Drennan formerly of Tobernabrone, a Jesuit priest in Dublin.
After Mass, the launch of a major history of the parish which comprise the districts of Templeorum, Owning, Piltown and Fiddown was held. The 480 page book entitled “Templeorum Church 1814-2014, a study from prehistoric to 21st century of a rural area in south county Kilkenny.”
Written by local historian and author, Mary O’Shea was launched by the retired principal of Templeorun NS. Dan Kenny.
In his talk, the kerry native praised the scope and depth of the research covering a span of 6,000 years from our rst farmers to the Celtic Tiger era and the many beautiful colour photos of landscape, monuments and people. The research and information contained in the book isn’t just manuscript information, it is coupled with knowledge from many older people of the parish, most of whom have passed on, oral history which if left undocumented would be lost forever.
The book is sells at €15 a copy and will be available from Centra Shop in Piltown, bookshops in Kilkenny city and Waterford and from the author, Mary O’Shea at Raheen, Piltown, county Kilkenny, 051 643543 email firstname.lastname@example.org