A SOUTH Kilkenny man who is seeking permission to continue his fuel depot is appealing to Kilkenny County Council to be able to maintain it as service for the area.
George O’Connor has applied to the council seeking retention permission for a change of use from agricultural use to a fuel depot at lands at Rathculliheen, Milepost Village, Co Kilkenny.
In addition to the farm being used for sales of various kinds over the past six decades, his application cites the Kilkenny Development Plan’s aim “to locate community facilities within existing settlements where population levels warrant a particular service.”
The application then states: “This is the only fuel depot within easy reach of Ferrybank and Slieverue, and as such has to be considered a sustainable type of development.”
The applicant is seeking permission to continue using the 0.105-hectare site as a fuel depot for the sale of logs and coal to the public.
“There is an obvious demand for this fuel depot, with the nearest depot being in Ballyrobin and after that at the far side of Waterford city,” according to a letter submitted with the planning file.
Citing commercial uses of the site dating back to before the applicant’s father purchased the land in 1954, the letter states: “It is obvious that these various uses noted above are all of a commercial nature and have been carried out continuously on the premises since the 1950s so that the premises has always had a dual commercial and agricultural use. The current use as a fuel depot cannot really be considered an intensification of use given that the usage compares favourably with previous commercial/ agricultural uses.”