THREE Kilkenny men have died in the last six days from drug overdoses. Following the re-emergence of the killer drug heroin on the streets of the city, a community worker has called on addicts to stop injecting themselves.
Pat Connaughton, a drugs out-reach worker with the South East Drugs Task Force and employed by St Vincent de Paul has said that if the addicts are going to use heroin, they should smoke it, a line at a time to gauge its strength. His warning comes after three separate deaths of Kilkenny men, two in the city and one in Dublin from a new batch of the drug that has come via Tallaght in Dublin. A fourth addict in the city committed suicide in the last month - unable to get his hands on heroin.
The first of the victims, will be buried this morning (Friday). Another known addict died in Dublin on Wednesday from an overdose and a third young man was found dead in his bed on Thursday afternoon by his mother close to Kilkenny city centre.
Pat Connaughton has said there has also been an overdose death in Carlow in the past week and that the problem is now an epidemic He explained the drug has been off the streets for the last number of months because of a supply problem but that a new batch of the drug, which is believed to have came from Afghanistan, is so pure that it is killing users. “They are not used to this strength and it is simply too much for their system,” Mr Connaughton said. He works two and a half days a week in Kilkenny city and the rest of the time in Carlow town.
People can ring Pat Connaughton at 085-7888326