Paracetomal use led to acute liver failure

KILKENNY Coroner’s Court heard last Wednesday how a 25-year-old man with a history of alcohol abuse died of acute liver failure caused by paracetomal use.

KILKENNY Coroner’s Court heard last Wednesday how a 25-year-old man with a history of alcohol abuse died of acute liver failure caused by paracetomal use.

James Ryan, 36 Westfield, Kilkenny passed away on November 27, 2011 and returning a verdict of death by misadventure, County Coroner Tim Kiely said Mr Ryan suffered a toxic liver injury.

He took paracetomal in the normal way and his death was accidental. He extended sympathy to the Ryan family on their loss in very difficult circumstances.

Mr Kiely thanked Dr Robert Landers, Consultant Pathologist at Waterford Regional Hospital, for his work in helping establish the cause of death. “It took a lot of effort and a lot of scientific examination and most importantly the family are satisified with the explanation.”

In his deposition, Tom Ryan said that when he called to his son’s house he wasn’t up out of bed. He thought nothing of this as James may have been out the night before and he proceeded to make himself a cup of tea. Shortly afterwards he went into James’ bedroom and he found him lying in the corner of the room, stone cold.

Garda Pat Prendergast gave evidence of arriving at the house at approximately 3pm and that James Ryan was pronounced dead at the scene.

Dr Landers conducted the post mortem at Waterford Regional Hospital and he was informed of the circumstances and also of the deceased’s history of alcohol abuse.

He explained that his heart and muscles were normal, there was no bone or soft tissue injuries. He’d a small bruise on his skull but there was no evidence of bleeding on the brain.

Paracetomal was present in the blood. His liver was pale and individual cells were dead. And upon further scientific examination it was discovered that paracetomal use led to acute liver failure.