FOUR delegates from the Carlow-Kilkenny branch of the Association of Garda Sergeants and Inspectors snubbed Justice Minister Alan Shatter as he addressed the AGSI conference in Sligo.
The Carlow-Kilkenny representatives walked out of the 35th AGSI conference on Monday as Minister Shatter began his speech.
And the Minister’s assertion that the AGSI and GRA (Garda Representative Association) had done a disservice to members of the force by not being at the negotiation table for recent Croke Park pay talks was greeted with silence.
The AGSI say they have seen huge changes in their work practices and conditions of employment and they’ve also experienced an average 20% reduction in their wage packet.
Delivering the address of AGSI President Tim Galvin, the Vice President Liam Brady accused Minister Shatter of lying about garda station closures.
“You told us that the lack of consultation in relation to the first series of closures would not be repeated. 12 months on and nothing has changed. Your words were lies. 100 stations were earmarked since then and despite numerous requests to Garda Management and you Minister, we find out what stations are closing on the Garda Portal system while you stand in the Dáil making the announcement.”
Minister Shatter rejected the ‘lies’ accusation and said it was not possible to consult with every individual in relation to station closures which he described as an operational decision made by the Garda Commissioner which he would not second guess.
The conference opened with a minute’s silence in memory of Detective Garda Adrian Donohoe, shot dead on duty in Co Louth in January of this year.
And yesterday morning (Tuesday) members voted to seek to have the Uzi submachine gun, which was withdrawn, immediately reissued to detectives.
A senior member of the AGSI executive, Inspector Walter Kilcullen, claimed that detective Garda Donohoe might still be alive if the Uzi submachine gun had not been withdrawn.