THE new deck at the rear of the castle has had to be removed after it emerged that it had been constructed with out the required planning permission.
The deck structure appeared at the end of the long gallery wing of the castle about two weeks ago and was being used by Kilkenny Castle Kitchen, which is being operated by local business man Eamon Langton.
A spokesperson for Langtons said that the new structure was envisaged to offer a better service to customers who enjoyed the tea rooms at the Castle.
“We met with the management at the castle and presented our plans. But as we developed the new facilities, we had to make the structure safer, which meant counteracting the uneven surface, and then railings had to go up and as it progressed, and the development got bigger, we were informed it became a planning issue.
“We then met with the OPW, and decided that the best thing to do was to remove the structure and we will be looking at our options over the coming weeks”
The structure was dismantled last Friday on the orders of the OPW.
A spokesperson for the OPW said “The structure has to be removed as it was put in place without the prior approval of OPW or the local Planning Authority. Planning permission was not applied for prior to the structure been put in place. By agreement at a meeting last Thursday the operator has agreed that they will remove and discuss future proposals with planners and Castle management.”