The late Sheila Flannery (nee Dalton) - a considerate, selfless, kind and elegant lady

Sheila was born into the Dalton family on 28th January 1919 at 19 Vicar Street. She attended Lorreto Convent and had a very happy childhood much influenced by musical evenings with her family. She learned to play the piano in school and later in life enjoyed nothing better than relaxing on the keyboard and singing at get togethers.

Sheila was born into the Dalton family on 28th January 1919 at 19 Vicar Street. She attended Lorreto Convent and had a very happy childhood much influenced by musical evenings with her family. She learned to play the piano in school and later in life enjoyed nothing better than relaxing on the keyboard and singing at get togethers.

Sheila made a name for herself in Kilkenny as a young woman when she saved the life of a girl who was drowning in the River Nore at Bishops Hill.

Sheila first started work at the ‘Monster House’ where believe it or not she had to pay for the privilege She married Ned at St. Canices Church and an extract from the Kilkenny Peopler read:

“Wednesday 24th November 1943 at St Canices Church between Lieut. Edward Flannery third son of Mr and Mrs John Flannery, Nenagh and Sheila Dalton, third daughter of Mrs and the late Mr John Dalton, Vicar Street, Kilkenny. he bride is extremely popular in social circles in the city and (as befitted her sense of fashion) the bride wore a frock of ice blue French crepe with blue fox cape and toning accessories”

Sheila and Ned had four children, Donal, Helen, Lynda and Daryl, eight grandchildren and five great grandchildren.

In 1954 Sheila and Ned moved to Glasgow and Sheila continued in the fashion trade working for House of Fraser whose owner Sir Hugh Fraser often commented personally to her on how much he loved her Irish accent. In 1969 they returned to Ireland - to Dublin and following Ned’s sudden death aged 54 in 1976 Sheila moved to The Sycamores and lived next door to one of her sisters Patty (Ryan). Along with another sister - the late Eileen (Gag) DeLoughry - the three of them were affectionately known as “Charlie’s Angels”.

Sheila continued to work, this time, in Ryan’s Jewellers and did not retire until she reached 80. Until 2010 she looked after “Her Boys” John, Denis, Bill and Richard; sons of her brother Billy at Talbots Inch.

Eventually in need of full time care Sheila moved to a Nursing Home in the UK - run by her daughter Helen and son-in-Law Iain - and was looked after for some 15 months until March this year.

Sheila died on 22-3-2012 aged 93 years following a short illness and was brought home to rest in Kilkenny. She is missed by all who knew her not least her surviving two brothers, three daughters, son, grandchildren and great grandchildren, three son-in-laws and daughter-in-law.

We have been privileged to share the life of a considerate, selfless, kind and elegant lady. These and music and laughter are her lasting legacy and although our lives seem emptier with her passing they have, in fact, been much enriched by her living.