Question: where is Loughmacask? Or to be more precise, where IN Kilkenny is Loughmacask? Don’t know about you but I never head of Loughmacask until a week ago when I picked up an Ordinance Survey map of Kilkenny. One of the first places that jumped out at me, metaphorically speaking, of course, was Loughmacask. LOUGHMACASK! Sounded more like a place in the wilds of Mayo or the backwaters of Fermanagh. But no, Loughmacask is in Kilkenny, or at least on the outskirts, because the map I picked up (bought actually because it was so informative) was a Kilkenny Street Map.
So, after all that spiel, any idea at all where Loughmacask is? Well I certainly don’t blame you if you don’t. And while we’re at it, any idea where the following are in Kilkenny City, because once again, I only knew a handful. And I thought I knew my city. And this, I’ve decided, is going to be a wee quiz, a Where in Kilkenny Quiz. So, how well you know your city? See if you identify the whereabouts of the following places in Kilkenny:
1. Back Lane 2. Francis McManus Square 3. Hoban’s Bridge 4. Horse Barrack Lane
5. Penston’s Garden 6. Manor Walk 7. Reade Court 8. Red Lane 9. Burrell’s Walk
10. St. Malla’s Terrace 11. Butler Place 12. Coffin Lane 13. Oak Road 14. Fr. Sherin Place 15. Priory Square
So, how are we doing? Like myself you’ll know some, not least the areas in and around where you live, but I’ll hazard a guess, that like myself, you haven’t a pup’s notion where many of them are. Get 5 out of the 15 and you’re doing rather well, 10 out of 15 is excellent while 15 out of 15 tells me you’re working in the council, delivering the post or collecting refuse. Then again perhaps you’re just a well informed local historian in which case I applaud you. And while you’re still working on those, Loughmacask is an area off the Bonnetstown Road and yes, there is a Lough Macask there which, of course, I’ve never seen. And then there’s the question of the derivation of the name; lough as we all know means lake but where’s macask coming from? Answers on a postcard please. As for the wee quiz, here be the answers
1. Back Lane connects Michael Street to John’s Quay and runs down by St. John’s Junior School beside the library. 2. Francis McManus Square is also off Michael Street, turn in at Celtic House B&B. 3. Hoban’s Bridge is just past the Kells Road roundabout en route to the Waterford Rd. roundabout. 4. Horse Barrack Lane is directly behind the Watergate Theatre. 5. Penston’s Garden is off the Kennyswell Road in behind Breagagh Court. 6. Manor Walk is off the Kells Road in the new Rose Hill estate. 7. Reade Court is off the Circular Rd. first turn left as you enter Roberts Hill. 8. Red Lane is off High St. and is now the delivery entrance to Argos.
9. Burrell’s Walk is off the Callan Rd., turn right after College Gardens. 10. St. Malla’s Terrace (a revelation this) is half of Michael St., from the old swimming pool to the handball alley. 11. Butler Place is just off the O’Loughlin Rd. roundabout. 12. Coffin Lane is behind the Town Hall. 13. Oak Road is in Dukesmeadows off the Bennetsbridge Road. 14. Fr. Sherin Place is off Dominic St., first left after the Guards Barracks as you head for Stephen’s St.. 15. Priory Square is off Dean St..
Don’t know about you but this little quiz was certainly an eye-opener, and an education, for me regarding our city and what I know of it.