Late, late point gives All-Ireland champs the honours

Late, late point gives All-Ireland champs the honours

A 59th minute point from Katelynn Hickey was the difference as All-Ireland champions, Cork defeated Kilkenny in Piltown on Sunday.

It was the victors who started the better in this senior Camogie League tie. They opened the scoring after 40 seconds through Orla Cotter (free) after she was fouled.

Kilkenny responded brightly with points from Sarah Ann Quinlan and Aoife Neary to take the lead.

Orla Cronin equalised the tie when she pointed from 35 metres in the seventh minute. Denise Gaule put the losers back in front in the ninth minute from a massive free from 65 metres after Miriam Frisby was fouled.

Sarah Ann Quinlan put Kilkenny two ahead when scoring a free from 20 metres (0-4 to 0-2).

Cork then went on a scoring burst, grabbing 1-2 on the bounce. Orla Cotter started the run by converting a free.

Cork then got in for the opening goal in the 19th minute, a score Kilkenny were very unlucky to concede.

Katriona Mackey gained possession 40 metres from goal. She cut through the home defence and shot for goal from the edge of the small square.

Emma Kavanagh pulled off a terrific save, but the ball rebounded and hit off Mackey’s shin and ended up in the net (1-3 to 0-4).

Finola Neville then tapped over a point in the 20th minute from 35 metres to put her side three clear. Kilkenny bounced back brilliantly and grabbed four points on the trot.

Sarah Ann Quinlan started the run with a free from 30 metres in the 22nd minute. Julieann Malone then grabbed a well taken point to cut the gap to 0-6 to 1-4.

Kate McDonald equalised after she pointed from 20 metres in the 26th minute. Denise Gaule put Kilkenny into the lead (0-8 to 1-4) with a point from 45 metres in the 27th minute.

Katriona Mackey stopped the rot for Cork with a minor from 30 metres to ensure her side went in level at the break - 0-8 to 1-05.

Raced Out of Traps

The visitors raced out of the traps at the start of the new half and registered three points on the trot through Orla Cotter.

She started the run with free from 45 meters in the opening minute. She followed with a well taken point on the run from 40 metres before she tapped over a further free from 35 metres in the 41st minute.

Kilkenny bounced back again, shooting three points in-a-row.

Meg Farrell started the run with an excellent point. Anna Farrell cut the deficit to a point with an effort from 35 metres in the 50th minute.

Sarah Ann Quinlan then tapped over the equaliser from a free after Anna Farrell was fouled.

However, they was a sting left in the Cork tail. They popped up to shoot the winner in the 59th minute when Katelyn Hickey tapped over from 21 metres.

Kilkenny tried their upmost to nab the equaliser, but Cork held firm and ran out victors.

Next up for Kilkenny is an away game against Limerick on Easter Sunday. A victory would guarantee them a League semi-final spot.

SCORERS: Kilkenny - Sarah Ann Quinlan (0-4, three frees); Denise Gaule (0-2, one free); Aoife Neary, Julieann Malone, Kate McDonald, Meg Farrell, Anna Farrell (0-1 each). Cork - Orla Cotter (0-5, four frees); Katriona Mackey (1-1); Orla Cronin, Finola Neville, Katelynn Hickey (0-1).

Kilkenny - Emma Kavanagh, Sarah Kent, Davina Tobin, Sarah Crowley, Jacqui Frisby, Stacey Quirke, Meg Farrell, Miriam Frisby, Aoife Neary, Michelle Quilty, Sarah Ann Quinlan, Denise Gaule, Julieann Malone, Kate McDonald, Anna Farrell.

Subs - Ann Marie Lennon, Collette Dormer, Kellyann Doyle, Ann Dalton, Edwina Keane, Aine Gannon, Murphy, Grace Walsh, Miriam Walsh, Katie Power, Shelly Farrell.

Cork - Lynsey Condell, Ellen Murphy, Rena Buckley, Leanne O’Sullivan, Hannah Looney, Pam Mackey, Meabh Cahalane, Orla Cotter, Breige Corkery, Katelyn Hickey, Orla Cronin, Amy O’Connor, Katriona Mackey, Linda Collins, Finola Neville.

Subs – Amy Lee, Niamh O’Keeffe, Sarah Buckley, Rebecca Walsh, Sarah Fahy, Jennifer Hosford, Lisa Lynch, Eimear O’Sullivan, Leah Weste.

Referee - Owen Elliott (Antrim)