Stunning Galmoy finish rocks Piltown




A STORMING closing five minutes saw Galmoy edge the issue in this exciting All County junior hurling league quarter-final over Piltown in Kilmanagh. With five minutes remaining the losers led by 0-12 to 1-7 and seemed set for their second victory of the season over the Northerners.

However, Galmoy don’t give up easily and they fought to the end.

In the 55th minute Martin Phelan one handed a Liam Drennan puck-out up to corner-forward, Phil Russell, who controlled the sliotar and sent a lovely cross in to Noel Doherty. Doherty lifted the rigging with a cracking shot.

Buoyed by that tonic score, Galmoy pushed forward again. Nigel Stanley hand passed to Frank Phelan, who sent over his second point. Noel Doherty closed the scoring on the stroke of time.

Piltown were rocked by that stunning finish, but it must be taken into account that the southerners were missing at least four regulars and will be a different prospect later in the season. Indeed, in the opening period they seemed set to dominate.

Straight from the throw-in Richie McCarthy had the white flag flying. Robert Culleton had another on the ’board before fans had witnessed 90 seconds of play. Galmoy sruck it rich from their first attack. Michael Brennan sent a huge clearance forward and Phil Russell, after failing to control at the first attempt, had the presence of mind to one hand the sliotar past James Norris.

Richie McCarthy levelled up from a free before Noel Doherty and Daniel Norris exchanged minors. It was nip and tuck all the way during the opening 20 minutes as Jason Stanley put Galmoy ahead from a 65 only for Robert Culleton to draw parity after a good pass from Richie McCarthy.

A late foul on Brian Doherty saw Phil Russell point from a free out on the right wing. Galmoy were guilty of some poor shooting as they racked up eight wides before half-time as opposed to two from their opponents.

The team were level again at the break, 1-4 to 0-7, and it was all to play for.

Niall Doherty had a great game at centre-back for Galmoy, with Martin Phelan also showing a return to form at midfield. Up front Phil Russell and Noel Doherty carried the fight to Piltown. The losers had good performances from Richie McCarthy and Daniel Norris, while in defence Andrew McCarthy and Peter McCarthy could have done no more.

Daniel Norris and Robert Culleton sent the southerners into a tentative lead after the interval only for Phil Russell to pull one back from a placed ball after winning the free. He leveled it up from a free won by the hard working Gavin Doherty.

After a Frank Phelan point, Piltown dominated for a period and hit a pair of points per Daniel Norris along with a long range free from Peter McCarthy. They weren’t expecting the strong Galmoy finish and hadn’t time to pull themselves back into contention.

Galmoy meet the holders, Mount Leinster Rangers, in the semi-final on Friday evening in Bennettsbridge.

Galmoy - Liam Drennan, Brian Doherty, Brendan Phelan, Eamonn Corcoran, Jason Stanley (0-1, 65), Niall Doherty, Michael Brennan, Martin Phelan, Nigel Stanley, Donncha Gray, Noel Doherty (1-2), Frank Phelan (0-2), Phil Russell (1-4, 0-3 frees), Stephen Murphy, Gavin Doherty. Sub - Joe Dollard for G. Doherty 49 mins.

Piltown - James Norris, Brendan Norris, Andrew McCarthy, Pa Connolly, Peter McCarthy (0-1, free), Shane Kinsella, Michael Burchill, Philly Kenny, Kieran Norris, Brendan McCarthy, Daniel Norris (0-5), Paul Kirby, Martin Power, Robert Culleton (0-3), Richie McCarthy (0-3, one free). Subs - Niall Kinsella for P. Connolly 32 mins; David Kinsella for B. McCarthy 48 mins.

Referee: Julian O Dwyer (Windgap).