Strong opening but Fenians were swept aside afterwards




A STRONG second half performance, when aided by the breeze, saw Galmoy record a good win over Fenians (Johnstown) in the Roinn D under-14 hurling league in Galmoy.

The Johnstown boys dominated the early stages and went into the lead. Oisín Phelan did have the first point for Galmoy but the visitors then set about their task in earnest. Ten minutes in their best player, Niall Carroll sent over a 65.

Two minutes later full-forward Paul Warren struck a ground shot to the net. Another pointed free from Niall Carroll stretched the lead even more. On the quarter hour mark, a long Fenian delivery was dropped by a Galmoy defender and corner-forward, Conor Holohan, was in like a flash to sweep the sliotar to the net. Fenians jumped ahead, 2-2 to 0-1, at the end of the first quarter.

Galmoy knew they were in a battle and they had to fight hard to get back in the game. Sean Phelan at wing-forward was the only Galmoy player who settled early and he struck a lot of good ball forward. They were deprived of one or two possible goals by alert Fenians goal keeper, Aaron Okoroh, but when they started taking their points they gradually gained confidence.

Oisín Phelan got them going with an 18th minute point to which Conor Drennan added two, one from a free. In the 22nd minute they won a 65. Brandan Phelan cleverly sent the placed ball across field to the unmarked Conor Grace.

Grace’s probing delivery was flicked to the net by Cathal Phelan to reduce the deficit to the minimum.

Oisín Phelan levelled in the 24th minute and he followed with a cracking goal after an intelligent cross by Dylan Grace. Patrick Doyle goaled after working hard and Conor Drennan finished the first half scoring with a long range point to leave Galmoy ahead by 3-6 to 2-2 at the break.

The game was a personal triumph for Oisín Phelan, who finished with a total of 3-7 from play. He hit his second goal straight after the interval. The home side then picked off some impressive points as they pushed on.

Conor Grace and Conor Drennan at midfield cut off the supply to the Fenians forwards and kept the ball going forward. Brandan Phelan was also very solid at centre-back with wing backs Conor Kelly and Colm Smith cleared their lines well all through.

Mark Hughes and Aaron Dermody tried hard in defence for the Fenians and they pushed Niall Carroll out to midfield in a bid to gain some possession there with Evan Okoroh manning the centre of defence. But Galmoy kept driving forward relentlessly. They scored their fifth goal when Oisín Phelan pounced again in the 56th minute.

Full forward Evan Morrissey got in on the goal scoring act with two minutes remaining.

Galmoy - Billy Drennan, Ryan Murphy, Jack Delaney, Ned Lavelle, Colm Smith, Brandan Phelan (0-1, 65), Conor Kelly, Conor Grace (0-5, 0-2 frees), Conor Drennan (0-4, 0-1 free), Oisín Phelan (3-7), Cathal Phelan (1-0), Sean Phelan (0-1), Dylan Grace (0-1), Evan Morrissey (1-0), Patrick Doyle (1-1).

Fenians - Aaron Okoroh, Jason Dermody, Mark Hughes, Aaron Dermody, Diarmaid O’Gorman, Niall Carroll (0-2, 0-1 65), Kyle Quinlan, Killian Cullinane, Domonik Franczek, Bobby Tynan, Evan Okoroh, Padraig Sweeney, Conor Holohan (1-0), Paul Warren (1-0), Rhys Quinlan Phelan. Sub - Fergal Maher.

Referee - Denis O’Sullivan (John Lockes).