Goals prove crucial for combined team

Galmoy/Windgap 5-8

Galmoy/Windgap 5-8

Harps 1-12

The old adage that goals win games proved true for Galmoy/Windgap against Harps (Laois) in this first round minor hurling league Roinn B game in Galmoy on Monday.

Craig Cleere got the Harps off the mark early but Galmoy/Windgap responded quickly. Eoghan Vaughan soloed through from midfield and set up Peter Hennessy with a good pass for a goal. Harps tagged on three points to take the lead again before the hosts goaled once more.

This time Niall Walsh won a free out on the right wing. Cian Hynes tapped home Frank Phelan’s probing free. Charles Dwyer, at centre forward for the Harps, was the stand out player throughout the half and the winners were forced to rearrange their defence with Jason Stanley coming out to police Dwyer.

The latter continued to impress, however, striking four first points, three from frees, as well as being off target on a few occasions. Points by Peter Hennessy and Cian Hynes saw Galmoy/Windgap lead by 2-4 to 0-9 at half-time.

The Harps began well and when they won a 20 metre free in the 33rd minute, Charles Dwyer went for goal. His well struck shot was partly saved but the ball crept into the net. Two Dwyer points saw the Laois boys lead by 1-11 to 2-5 after 35 minutes.

Slowly but surely the Galmoy/Windgap outfit climbed back into contention. Points from Frank Phelan, Peter Hennessy and a Jason Stanley free reduced the deficit. They went back in front in the 45th minute when Padraig Walsh took a pass from Michael Vaughan and cleverly batted the sliotar past Peter Walsh in the Harps goal. A pointed free from Frank Phelan left a goal between the sides.

Eoghan Vaughan went on many probing solo runs, his speed taking him past numerous defenders on a regular basis. From one solo in the 50th minute he passed to Cian Hynes and the sliotar was again planted in the Harps net.

The visitors never gave up and they were unlucky not to goal on two occasions in the dying moments. That they didn’t was due to two cracking saves from Kevin Duggan on goal for the winners. He stopped a Mark Hamm shot from 10 metres and then repeated the act when saving a free from Charles Dwyer.

This kept his side in the game. The Kilkenny lads finished off a winning performance with an Eoghan Vaughan kicked goal after another probing run in the last minute. Darren Grace and Darragh O’Shea also did well for the winners, while James Larkin, Rory Doyle and Colm Dunphy worked hard all through for the Harps.

Galmoy/Windgap - Kevin Duggan, Patrick Moore, Jason Stanley, capt (0-1, free), Darren Grace, Martin Duggan, William Phelan, Darragh O’Shea, Frank Phelan (0-3, one free), Eoghan Vaughan (1-0), Niall Walsh, Padraig Walsh (1-0), Daniel Cashin, Brendan Power, Peter Hennessy (1-3), Cian Hynes(2-1). Subs - Michael Vaughan for B. Power 40 mins; Cameron Murphy for C. Hynes 57 mins; Tim Molloy for F. Phelan 58 mins.

Harps - Peter Walsh, Michael Saunders, James Larkin, Liam Lawlor, Rory Doyle, M.J. Dunphy, Michael Freeman, Colm Dunphy, capt, Ronan Delahunty (0-1), Tadhg Sullivan (0-2), Charles Dwyer (1-6, 1-3 frees), Kieran Freeman (0-1), Paul Simms (0-1), Craig Cleere (0-1), Mark Hamm. Subs - Shane Tyrrell for P. Simms 37 mins; Shane Fitzpatrick for C. Cleere 45 mins; Kieran Costigan for M. Freeman 46 mins.

Rferee - Peter Burke (Emeralds).