The ’Lockes very happy to make off with win

John Lockes 3-10

John Lockes 3-10

Mooncoin 2-12

While the opening half of this first round intermediate hurling league game between age old rivals, John Lockes (Callan) and Mooncoin was less than memorable, the second period was a product of completely different proportions.

The first half was dour; the exchanges nervous and lacking direction. The second half produced an abundance of excitement, courageous commitment, determination and exchanges full of pride. The far south men were headed by four points with less than nine minutes remaining, but a hugely spirited push for the winning post saw them come up a little short.

Mooncoin support would feel they should have had a share of the spoils. The John Lockes lads would gleefully accept the two points on offer, and could, with a degree of conviction say that they did enough to win.

John Lockes were still at the races at the halfway break, but they were in trouble trying to cope with the Mooncoin attack, especially on the half-back line. However, on the resumption they sited county minor, Jack McDowell at number 5, and it was as a direct result of that decision that led to a ’Lockes revival, and ultimately the win.

Both sides conceded goals of the fortuitous nature.

Clattered home

Eoin Hennebry flicked one home for Mooncoin in the 11th minute. Jason Corcoran, who gave a man-of-the-match display at centre-back, clattered home a free in the 40th minute which should have been prevented. Another defensive mess-up in the 41st minute allowed Hennebery to grab his second major, while good fortune favoured the two ’Lockes goals in the 48th and 50th minutes, scored by Dan McCormack and substitute, Brendan Grace respectively.

Mooncoin won the first half battle hands down, but they tired and no better men than the John Lockes lads to exert full advantage from such a failing. Mooncoin led at half time by 1-8 to 0-7.

The winners shot four wides to Mooncoin’s two, and they shot four of their points from placed balls, two of which came from Jason Corcoran from 90 metres out.

The force was with the ’Lockes in the second half as they clattered their way into the final nine minutes with that four-point lead. They had a purple patch between the 46th and the 52nd minutes when they bagged two goals and two points without a reply from Mooncoin.

The second Eoin Hennebry goal in the 41st minute featured the Mooncoin men at the head of the class, leading by a clear-cut 2-9 to 1-8. Under the cold, trying conditions it looked ominous for the ’Lockes chances of pulling the game out of the stewing pot.

But they did in no uncertain fashion, and by the 51st minute the take of 2-2 without reply had them in front by four points with the clock ticking down.

It was all hands to the pumps as they defended with a ferocious will. Mooncoin forced the game into a one-point Mexican stand-off, but try as they may they could not gain parity. Both sides missed chances of points late in that period from frees.

Besides Corcoran, McDowell and McGrath, John Lockes had good foot soldiers in Simon Burke, Ger Shelly in the second half and J.P. Corcoran in the final quarter. Mooncoin got valuable contributions from Thomas O’Hanlon and Niall Mackey, Michael Grace, and Thomas Hennebry.

Scorers: John Lockes - Jason Corcoran (1-2, frees); Dan McCormack (1-2); Simon Burke (0-4, three frees); Brendan Grace (1-0); Shane Bergin, Ger Shelly (0-1 each). Mooncoin - Eoin Hennebry (2-0); Steven Crowley, Thomas Hennebry, Michael Grace, Ray Wall (0-2 each); Ethan Ryan (0-2, frees); Seamus Kearns (0-1); D. Mackey (0-1, free).

John Lockes - Paul Morrissey, Mick Gordon, John O’Neill, Tony Delaney, Cathal Byrne, Jason Corcoran, Owen Mc.Grath, JP. Corcoran, Paddy Kennedy, Matty Holohan, Simon Burke, Jack McDowell, Dan McCormack, Shane Bergin, Ger Shelly. Sub - Brendan Grace.

Mooncoin - Niall O’Hanlon, Thomas O’Hanlon, Niall Mackey, Tommy Walsh, Cormac Daly, Alan Walsh, Seamus Kearns, Mark Fitzgerald, Danny Purcell, Thomas Hennebry, Michael Grace, Stephen Crowley, Eoin Hennebry, Ethan Ryan, Ray Wall. Subs - D. Mackey, Niall Madden, J.P. Purcell.

Referee - R. Burns (Glenmore).