The ’Shock win tough contest between honest men

Carrickshock 1-11

Carrickshock 1-11

Glenmore 0-10

This was a real honest to goodness game between two sides hell bent on getting a badly needed result in the South Roinn A junior hurling championship. It was also a game where the fortunes of both depended on the value squeezed from the advantages offered by a gruelling wind.

Carrickshock took advantage in the first half, and even though they didn’t get the absolute reward for their wind-assisted efforts, nevertheless their defensive work when battered by the wind in the second half was key to their victory.

Glenmore shook them early when Pat Murphy rattled over a point inside the first 40 seconds. He repeated the effort again in the 16th minute, but they were to be the only rewards for effort credited to the Glenmore men in the first thirty one minutes. Within three minutes of Murphy’s effort, Niall Rohan, Kevin Farrell and Andy Power fired over three like scores for the ‘Shock.

It was a backs to any wall available for the Glenmore men, as the home side swarmed forward led from the defence by Darren Dwyer, and pushed on by centre forward, Niall Rohan. Richie Mullally was central to most of the strong work being done in the Glenmore defence, as he coached some great responses from many of the young Glenmore bucks around him.

The Carrickshock attack worked like Trojans during the first half when the howling wind put plenty of energy into their spinnaker. Sean Gibbons, Kevin Farrell, Pat Dalton and Darragh Brennan weighed in with some valuable points which helped their side reach the break leading by 0-11 to 0-2.

It was felt that it might not have been enough to earn the laurels.

However, the Carrickshock defence really put their stamp on proceedings in the second half with a determined, courageous defence of their battlements. Glenmore were now the dominant force going forward, ably led by Patrick Murphy, James Aylward, Ger Kehoe and Kenny Cottrell. Stepehen Farrell in the ‘Shock goal inspired great confidence in the defenders in front of him with a string of brave saves.

Dwyer was hugely conspicuous at number three, while Kieran Holden and Eamon Foley worked themselves to a standstill for the cause. With Glenmore on a continuous attack mode app, Carrickshock were close to buckling under the pressure. Patrick Murphy (2 frees) ,Ger Kehoe(2) , James Aylward, (2) cut the deficit to three points by the 57th minute. Carrickshock were on the ropes. However, when needs must, needs will be, and in the only attack mounted by the Carrickshock lads in that frantic second half, the ball broke to that go-to man, Kevin Farrell who rifled the ball to the Glenmore net. That score totally deflated the Glenmore men, who had given their all.

They were devastated, and their tank was empty. Aylward and Murphy added points, but the vim had gone out of the Glenmore effort.

Scorers: Carrickshock - Kevin Farrell (1-4, three frees, one 65); Niall Rohan (0-3); Darragh Brennan (0-2); Andy Power, Pat Dalton (0-1 each). Glenmore - Patrick Murphy (0-5, two frees); Ger Kehoe, James Aylward (0-2 each); Ken Cottrell (0-1).

Carrickshock - Stephen Farrell, Seamus Millea, Darren O Dwyer, Edward Power, Paddy Foran, Kieran Holden ,Eamon Foley, Aaron O Neill., Tommy Hearne, Andy Power, Niall Rohan, Sean Gibbons, Kevin Farrell, Pat Dalton, Darragh Brennan.

Glenmore - Shane Murphy, David Boyle, Richie Mullally, Niall Dunne, Sean Duggan, Philip Roche, Brian O Donoghue, Shane Doherty, PJ Roche, Ger Kehoe, Kenneth Cottrell, Patrick Murphy, James Aylward, James Irish, Eoin Aylward.

Referee - Paschal Connolly (Shamrocks).