Girls set up All-Ireland final date

Siobhan Hurley (Kildare) tries to get away from Aine Fahey (Kilkenny) during the All-Ireland intermediate camogie semi-final in Dr Cullen Park. Photo: Donall Farmer/Inpho
Impressive Kilkenny booked their place in the All-Ireland intermediate camogie final when they easily disposed of Kildare in Dr Cullen Park.

Impressive Kilkenny booked their place in the All-Ireland intermediate camogie final when they easily disposed of Kildare in Dr Cullen Park.

The big showdown will be on September 14.

Kilkenny started the game brightly and were two points to no score up after only three minutes. Anna Farrell was on target within 30 second after latching on to a breaking ball on the 21 metre line and Mags Fennelly shot Kilkenny’s second point in the third minute.

Siobhan Hurley responded for Kildare in the 7th minute when she pounced on a poor Kilkenny clearance before tapping over from 40 metres. Orla Handrick responded for Kilkenny with a point from the resulting puck-out.

Narrowed gap

Siobhan Hurley then drilled over a free from 45 metres in the 9th minute after she was fouled to narrow the gap for Lilywhites. Sarah Crowley tapped over a massive score from 50 metres after gaining possession from Aine Kinsella to leave it at 0-4 to 0-2 after 10 minutes.

Susie O’Carroll responded for Kildare with a free in the 17th minute after Deirbhile Byrne was fouled. Kilkenny finished the half well and grabbed six unanswered points.

The first came from an Orla Handrick free in the 18th minute. Kilkenny were then awarded a penalty within 60 seconds after Lydia Fitzpatrick was fouled. Orla Handrick tapped over the penalty to extend the Cats advantage.

Mags Fennelly got in on the act with a point to make it 0-7 to 0-3 after 20 minutes. Laura Norris continued Kilkenny’s good run with a point from play from 14 metres after latching on to an Orla Handrick pass.

Kildare nearly got in for a goal in the 27th minute, but the brilliance of Kilkenny goalie, Anne Marie Lennon saved the day. Deirbhile Byrne gained possession on the edge of the small square and she spotted Cliodhna McSweeney free on the far side. Lennon read Byrne’s pass perfectly and reacted to bat the ball away.

Second point

From the resulting clearance Laura Norris gained possession on the 21 and shot her second point. Siobhan Hurley stopped the rot for Kildare when she scored from a free in the 31st minute to leave it 0-9 to 0-4 at half time.

Kildare started the second half brightly. They were awarded a penalty in the 32nd minute after a defender was adjudged to have pulled down Susie O’Carroll. Melissa Lyons effort was saved by Catherine Foley and Kilkenny cleared there lines.

Susie O’Carroll opened the second half scoring when she tapped over a free to narrow the gap to 0-9 to 0-5. Kildare looked to be all fired up. Second half sub Aine Gannon opened Kilkenny’s account with a well taken point from play in the 40th minute after gaining possession from an Aine Kinsella pass.

Cliodhna McSweeney responded for Kildare and cut the gap to four with a minor from play after good link up play with Emer Reilly. Kilkenny applied the brakes then and finished the game strongly, scoring 1-6 without reply.

Mags Fennelly started the burst with a point from play from out near the sideline and 21 metres distance. Lydia Fitzpatrick then tapped over a point from play in the 49th minute.

Orla Handrick continued Kilkenny’s good run when she converted a free in the 50th minute. Mary O’Carroll, who only came on as a sub a minute earlier, got in on the scoring act with a point in the 53rd minute.

Handrick on the mark

Orla Handrick, who was outstanding from placed balls, tapped over another free after Mags Fennelly was fouled in the 59th minute. Mary O’Connell then got in for Kilkenny’s goal in the 60th minute after gaining possession on the edge of the small square. She flicked the ball home after Kildare failed to clear their lines.

Aisling Butler pointed for Kilkenny in added time before Siobhan Hurley tapped over a free in the 63rd minute for Kildare.

It was too little to late as Kilkenny ran out good winners and set up a final shoot-out against Limerick, who narrowly defeated Waterford in the other semi final.

SCORERS: Kilkenny - Orla Handrick (0-5, four points frees); Mary O’Connell (1-1); Mags Fennelly (0-3); Laura Norris (0-2); Sarah Crowley, Anna Farrell, Aine Gannon, Lydia Fitzpatrick, Aisling Butler (0-1 each). Kildare - Siobhan Hurley (0-4, three frees); Susie O’Carroll (0-2, one free); Cliodhna McSweeney (0-1).

Kilkenny - Ann Marie Lennon, Edel Frisby, Catherine Foley, Therese Muldowney, Claire Aylward, Aine Fahey, Megan Farrell, Aine Kinsella, Stacy Quirke, Sarah Crowley, Anna Farrell, Laura Norris, Lydia Fitzpatrick, Orla Hanrick, Mags Fennelly (capt).

Subs - Laura Walker, Aisling Butler, Aine Gannon, Catherine Connolly, Emma Comerford, Sarah Ann Quinlan, Meave Mansfield, Mary O’Connell, Aisling Nolan, Sonia Buggy, Kirsty Maher.

Kildare - Roisin O’Connell, Jane O’Donoghue, Aoife Trant, Fiona Trant, Clodagh Farrell, Carol Nolan, Emer Reilly, Melissa Lyons, Caroline Forde, Regina Gorman, Siobhan Hurley, Clodagh Flanagan, Cliodhna McSweeney, Susie O’Carroll , Deirbhile Byrne.

Subs - Alison Hyland, Niamh Concannon, Laura Sheahan, Niamh Breen, Catriona Temple, Hannah McDonnell, Ciara Mooney, Sabine Kennedy, Sinead O’Carroll, Niamh Egan , Orla Bambury Claire O’Sullivan, Maebh Walsh, Louise Qualter, Emma Barry.