Mullinavat lose a dear, dear friend in gentleman Michael, who died after game

Mullinavat and the GAA lost a great friend in the immediate aftermatch of this intermediate hurling league game in Mooncoin on Saturday.

Mullinavat and the GAA lost a great friend in the immediate aftermatch of this intermediate hurling league game in Mooncoin on Saturday.

Michael Carroll (72), a proud and dedicated member of the Mullinavat club, collapsed and died as he walked across the pitch after the match.

He was a true blue Mullinavat and Kilkenny GAA man, and as a loyal servant of the County Board he never failed to do his duty for the cause.

Chairman twice

Mr Carroll was the serving Mullinavat delegate on the County Board, and he acted as a steward at the home National League games this season.

He served two terms as chairman man of the club, the first from 1970 to 1973 and later from 1982 to 1988.

The Carroll family have lost a great man, a gentleman, and so too have the GAA. Decent men like Michael Carroll are rare in this life.

The sympathy of all is extended to his wife, Sheila, four children and other relatives.

Mr Carroll departed having enjoyed a last moment of success with his beloved Mullinavat, who were very good value for their victory over Dunnamaggin.

Indeed, but for a last minute goal from Kenny Moore, the losers would have finished well off the pace after being led from the opening minutes.

Drew first blood

The losers drew first blood when midfielder, Darren Fitzpatrick opened the scoring with a point. Mark Mansfield replied to that via a free before a point from Ian Duggan earned Mullinavat a lead they were never to lose.

Mark Mansfield and Joe Gannon stretched the winners advantage before Dunnamaggin hit back for a minor score from Darren Fitzpatrick. The ’Vat continued to boss the exchanges, and when Mansfield reached half-time with five scores in the bag, his team led by 0-7 to 0-4.

Dunnamaggin raised a bit of a gallop after the rest and Peter Keneally marked their upturn in form with a point. However, there was no meaningful follow up and the effort faded quickly.

Mullinavat returned to business when Joe Gahan picked off a nice point in the 36th minute. There was an exchange of scores between Kenny Moore and Mark Mansfield after that before the latter extended the winners advantage to 0-9 to 0-6.

Decisive moment

However, the decisive moment was just around the corner. In the 44th minute Willie O’Dwyer got to the end of a quick, long ball from out the field that evaded the last line of defence, and he slotted the sliotar past goalie David Herity.

The gap was now 1-9 to 0-6. Dunnamaggin were beaten.

The losers gained a measure of respectability almost on full time when Kenny Moore put in a daring run before rifling the ball into the top left corner of the net. It was, as they say, too little, too late.

Scorers: Mullinavat - Mark Mansfield (0-6, four frees); Willie O’Dwyer (1-0); Joe Gahan (0-2); Ian Duggan, Ger Malone, Jamie Fennelly (0-1 each). Dunnamaggin - Kenny Moore (1-3, points frees); Darren Fitzpatrick (0-3); Canice Hickey (0-1, free); Peter Kenneally (0-1).

Mullinavat - James Culleton, Mikie Jones, Thomas Aylward, Seamus Farrell, Joe Fennelly, Pauric Gahan, Simon Aylward, Dinny Butler, Mark Mansfield, Joe Gahan, Ian Duggan, Ger Malone, Jamie Fennelly, Willie O’Dwyer, Paddy Raftice. Subs - John Walsh, Brian Phelan.

Dunnamaggin - David Herity, Paul Kirwan, Noel Hickey, Mark Heffernan, Aidan Donovan, Canice Hickey, Eoghan Kearney, Willie Phelan, Darren Fitzpatrick, Peter Kenneally, Kenny Moore, John Fitzpatrick, Tommy Maher, Anthony Kearney, Ray Cody. Subs - Colin Herity, Patrick Delaney, Andrew Fitzpatrick.

Referee - Maurice Flynn (Mooncoin).