Strong second half Lisdowney storm blows away opposition

LISDOWNEY produced pure magic to pull off a great win in the under-16 hurling league Roinn B final on Monday in Clara.

LISDOWNEY produced pure magic to pull off a great win in the under-16 hurling league Roinn B final on Monday in Clara.

The early exchanges were even with both sides tentative during the opening 10 minutes. Three frees for Conahy and two for the opposition reflected the nervousness of the team. A point from play from Lisdowney followed and Conahy hit back for two.

During the next 20 minutes Conahy move ahead. Gary Dunne blasted a good goal to give them a five point lead. Minutes later a long range shot from Gary Dunne was cleared by the Lisdowney ’keeper after which a dangerous ball from Conor O’Carroll was warded off by Niall Coogan. Jack Dunphy’s next attempt was forced wide.

The play stayed in the Conahy forward area but Peter O’Sullivan and Paul Coss showed great defensive skill to keep them at by. Simon Callinan eventually sneaked Conahy’s sixth point.

The teams were keeping the ball to the wings and it was sideline ball after sideline ball for each team. One was beautifully struck from near the midfield by Conahy’s Edmund Delaney and the ball narrowly missed the goal.

After a scoreless 20 minutes Lisdowney pointed a free. Padraig Delaney was fouled.

Minutes later Ollie Feehan set-up Simon Callinan for a Conahy goal before Feehan pointed. With two minutes left in the half Dean McCann took a sideline for Lisdowney. He found Dylan Jordan, who passed the ball to Michael Kenny who was taken down. Lisdowney penalty! The fiercely struck shot was turned over the bar.

Half-time score: Conahy 2-7, Lisdowney 0-6.

Conahy were in for a shock after the change as the opposition roared into action. Early on Kieran Skehan headed straight for goal but his shot was deflected wide. Eoin Walsh scored the resultant 65 before Michael Kenny snatched two more quick points.

Lisdowney’s next four scores were from placed balls. They took a mere 10 minutes to draw level.

Lisdowney were all over the opposition, winning all the puck-outs and dominating in vital sectors. Ciaran O’Carroll narrowly missed a goal chance. Willie Kenny made up for it when he blasted to the net in the 45th minute.

Jack Dunphy, who had been marked closely by Philly Cass, grabbed Lisdowney’s next two points. Eoin Walsh was outstandingly on the half back line for the winners, and kept all before him in check. Conor O’Carroll was winning plenty of ball up front. The clincher came in the 58th minute when Michael Kenny received a perfect pass form Dylan Jordan before shooting Lisdowney’s second goal.

With a minute left Edmund Delaney got Conahy’s only score of the half, a point from a free, before Michael Kenny popped over a final point for the opposition.

Obviously the direct half-time talk had the desired effect, as did clever positional changes made by the Lisdowney management team of Philip Walsh, Larry Maher, Graham O’Shea and John Kenny.

Lisdowney - Liam Dunphy, Eddie Connery, Eoin Walsh, Peter O’Sullivan, Brian O’Carroll, Paul Coss, Dean McCann, Kieran Skehan, Ciaran O’Carroll, Michael Kenny, Jack Dunphy, Alan Murphy, Willie Kenny, Dean McCann, Subs - Niall Buckley, Danny Phelan, Darren Mullins, Michael Maher, John Brennan, James Murphy, Ian Buckley, Morgan Grace Cashin, Darragh Mackey, Brian Kavanagh, Kevin O’Sullivan, and Stephen Delaney.

Conahy Shamrocks - Padraig Delaney, Michael Feehan, Pauric Walsh, Ciaran Delaney, Niall Coogan, Philly Cass, Sean Walsh, Edmund Delanay, Liam Cass, David Kennedy, Gary Dunne, Donal Cass, Tom Phelan, Ollie Feehan, Simon Callinan. Subs - Adam Dempsey, Sean Brennan, Declan Wherity, Daniel O’Shea, Jack Kelly, Joe Mullin, John Byrne.