Galmoy turn the tables after four defeats

Galmoy 0-17

Galmoy 0-17

Lisdowney 1-11

GALMOY qualified for the semi-final of the Northern junior hurling championship after a cracking win over Lisdowney in Freshford on Sunday. After being beaten four times by their neighbours in the last two years, it was Galmoy’s greater hunger that was decisive this time.

Their point taking was excellent with Phil Russell, Noel Doherty and James Dunne in dedly mode. On the other hand, they didn’t trouble goalie Niall Grogan even once.

Lisdowney played in fits and starts but as the game wore on they were always playing catch up and missed some scoreable frees. They sorely missed captain and free taker, Rory Hickey, who was tied up with work. He arrived midway through the second half but wasn’t introduced.

Sean Phelan was excellent for Lisdowney in the first half as he mopped up a series of Galmoy attacks. Shane Clyne too, dominated at full-back.

Lisdowney set the early pace. Aaron Fogarty pointed a free and Paddy Bowden added another after receiving a pass from Eddie Hickey. Midfielders James Dunne and Eoin Delahunty exchanged points before Galmoy hit four wides in succession.

Good work

Seven minutes in Eddie Hickey grabbed a Paddy Bowden line ball before pointing. After good work by Laurence O’Carroll, Aaron Fogarty put Lisdowney ahead (0-5 to 0-1). Phil Russell arrested the slide when he took a Niall Doherty cross and pointed before he sent a lineball to Noel Doherty for another Galmoy point.

Lisdowney a golden chance of a goal when Niall Mackey fed Ciaran Mackey, but the latter’s shot was excellently saved by Liam Drennan. This inspired Galmoy. After Russell pointed a 65, Noel Doherty found James Dunne with a back pass and parity was achieved, 0-5 each.

In the 17th minute fans were treated to the best score of the day. Phil Russell won a ball on his own half back line and set off on a solo up the right wing. With no team mate moving to support him, Russell had to continue. He capped the run with a class point off the touchline to give Galmoy the lead for the first time.

Donnacha Gray extended the lead after a good move involving four Galmoy players. Lisdowney enjoyed a lucky break in the 26th minute when a defender slipped as he was about to rise the sliotar. Laurence O’Carroll pounced and sent the sliotar across to the unmarked Niall Mackey, who rattled the Galmoy net.

Ciaran Mackey slipped over a quick point and as a Galmoy defender missed the rise on the ball, Mackey pointed again. Thomas Corcoran pulled one back for Galmoy when he lofted the ball over with his foot. Lisdowney had the final say of the half.

Eddie Hickey sent a line ball to Paddy Bowden, who returned the pass for Hickey to point and leave his side ahead by 1-8 to 0-8 at half-time.

Galmoy came out in determined mode after the interval. Jason Stanley cleared three long deliveries in the opening five minutes. Noel Doherty grabbed two and split the posts. Phil Russell levelled after a good move involving Doherty and James Dunne (1-8 to 0-11).

Increasing the pace

Russell won a free and pointed it. Lisdowney then hit two frees wide before Paddy Bowden drew the game once more. Galmoy were increasing the pace and were bossing their opponents. Michael Brennan and Niall Doherty were absolutely excellent on the half back line with Doherty’s blocking and hooking a joy to watch.

At this stage Galmoy appeared to have more leaders as their opponents lost their way. Russell pointed three more frees allied to an inspiring point from Noel Doherty from the left wing. Lisdowney managed two more pointed frees from Ciaran Mackey as Galmoy advanced to a semi-final meeting with Clara this weekend.

Galmoy - Liam Drennan, Brendan Delaney, Brendan Phelan, Jason Stanley, Eamonn Corcoran, Niall Doherty, Michael Brennan, Phil Russell, capt (0-8, five frees), James Dunne (0-3), Thomas Phelan (Bawn), Noel Doherty (0-4), Martin Phelan, Donncha Gray (0-1), Stephen Delaney, Thomas Corcoran(0-1). Sub - Nigel Stanley for S. Delaney; Stephen Maher for T. Corcoran.

Lisdowney - Niall Grogan, Padraig Kenny, Shane Clyne, Patrick Burns, Niall O’Hara, Micheál Bergin, Sean Phelan, Eoin Delahunty (0-1), Joe Bergin, Laurence O’Carroll, Eddie Hickey (0-2), Aaron Fogarty (0-2,one free), Niall Mackey (1-0), Paddy Bowden (0-2), Ciaran Mackey (0-4, two frees). Subs - Kevin Sweeney for L. O’Carroll; Pat O’Carroll for E. Hickey.

Referee - Eamonn Mansfield (Cloneen).