Battling Naomh Brid pulled out win in tight finish

Naomh Bríd 0-18

Naomh Bríd 0-18

Galmoy 1-13

A MORE determined Naomh Bríd deservedly won this Paddy Cahill Cup hurling semi-final against Galmoy in Gowran. The Carlow men showed a great appetite.

Alan Brennan at midfield dominated the first half, while Brendan Lawler at wing forward did as he pleased throughout and hit six stylish points from play. Substitute Cathal Coughlan was introduced at half time and grabbed three points in-a-row midway through the second half.

Jimmy and Eddie Kane were also in great form with the evergreen Johnny Nevin getting in a number of telling clearances.

For Galmoy, the full back line tried hard with Brendan Phelan and Michael Harte in particular playing well with good support from Brendan Delaney. Further afield only Michael Brennan, who was excellent at centre-back, and Phil Russell did themselves justice.

Galmoy began well with three early points from Phil Russell (two 65s’). Naomh Bríd posted replies from Alan Brennan, Colin Brennan and Michael Cowman. The winners were denied a goal when Liam Drennan saved a point blank shot from Colin Brennan.

Noel Doherty put Galmoy ahead courtesy of a pass from his brother Gavin. Galmoy then hit six wides in succession while they were temporarily in the ascendancy. Brendan Lawler sprung to life for Naomh Bríd and after striking over a free, he popped over two simple points from play.


Colin Brennan had Bríd’s final point of the half. Galmoy had points from Stephen Delaney and Eamonn Corcoran along with two Phil Russell frees to give them a half time lead of 0-8 to 0-7.

Alan Brennan at midfield and Eddie Kane at centre-back had dominated. Galmoy made some half-time switches in a bid to curb these two with James Dunne going to centre-forward and Martin Phelan to midfield. The switches didn’t improve things. The Carlow men upped the tempo and their changesm, including the introduction of Cathal Coughlan worked well.

Brendan Lawler pointed twice straight after the interval so that ’Bríd led at the three quarter stage by 0-13 to 0-9. Galmoy’s lone reply was from Donncha Gray. Galmoy knew they were in a game. Try as they might they could not loosen the Carlow men’s grip on proceedings.

Stephen Delaney and Phil Russell tried to spur on their team with points but ’Bríd were always able to reply. In the 54th minute Galmoy received a boost when Gavin Doherty flicked home after good approach work by Stephen Delaney and Donncha Gray.

This goal levelled the game but slack marking at midfield allowed Jimmy Kane retrieve the lead for Naomh Bríd. A late point from Sean Whelan confirmed their place in the final against fellow Carlow side, St Mullin’s.

Naomh Bríd - James Kehoe, Johnny Nevin, Desmond Shaw, Aidan Nolan, Gary Dunne, Eddie Kane, Tomás Cowman, Jimmy Kane (0-1), Alan Brennan (0-1), Colin Brennan (0-2), Mark Brennan, Brendan Lawler (0-8, 0-2 frees), John Sheehan, Michael Cowman (0-2), Earton Gleeson. Subs - Cathal Coughlan (0-3) for C. Brennan; Johnny Kavanagh for E. Gleeson; Sean Whelan (0-1) for J. Sheehan.

Galmoy - Liam Drennan, Brendan Delaney, Brendan Phelan, Michael Harte, Eamonn Corcoran (0-1), Michael Brennan, Thomas Phelan (Bawn), Phil Russell, capt (0-7, five frees), James Dunne, Thomas Corcoran, Noel Doherty (0-2), Martin Phelan, Donncha Gray (0-1), Stephen Delaney (0-2), Gavin Doherty (1-0). Sub - Phil Brennan for T. Corcoran.

Referee - Shem Gibbons (Young Irelands).