The ’Lockes never look back after good start




A GOOD start was half the battle as far as John Lockes (Callan) were concerned when they beat Galmoy/Windgap in this minor hurling league Roinn B tie at the Callan CBS grounds on Monday.

The winners hit the ground running. In corner-forward, Ryan Bergin, they had a player who threatened to win the game on his own. He had three points notched by the eight minute and he provided the pass for Josh Haines Bryan to rifle the sliotar to the visitors net in the 11th minute.

By the time Galmoy/Windgap switched Darren Grace back to police Bergin, the damage was done. Callan midfielder, Mark Shelly, was another most impressive performer who showed a tremendous turn of speed on more than one occasion. He hit five points from play and one from a free.

John Lockes were physically bigger than their opponents and they imposed themselves on the game from an early stage. All of the Galmoy/Windgap first half scores came from placed balls, two Jason Stanley pointed frees bookending one from Peter Hennessy.

They won a 20 metre free on the stroke of half-time and defender, Jason Stanley came upfield to strike a low shot to the left corner. That score was vital for the combined forces and kept their interest alive as they went to the break 1-3 to 1-12 behind.

It could have been more but for some vital saves by goalkeeper Kevin Duggan.

Galmoy/Windgap battled hard in the second half and won a good deal more possession. John Lockes were restricted to three more points as the visitors launched a comeback. They would have been much closer but for some wayward shooting.

Peter Hennessy pointed a free and one from play, allied to a Jason Stanley 65. Mark Shelly responded with an excellent point from the right wing after a top speed 40 metre run. Ruairi Kennedy at centre-back was also very good for the winners, while county minor full-back, Jack McDowell had earlier weighed in with two points from play.

Niall Walsh worked fierce hard to win a lot of ball as Galmoy/Windgap chased the game. They moved Jason Stanley to full-forward with 10 minutes remaining, but his comrades didn’t seem to notice as they blasted shots wide of target when to drop in the sliotar short might have paid greater dividends as John Lockes held out for a good win.

John Lockes - Nicholas Roche, Keith Roche, Eoin Kennedy, Jack Butler, Keith Fitzpatrick (0-1), Ruairi Kennedy, Bill MacDowell, Mark Shelly (0-6, one free), Sean Tierney, Mark Morris, Jack MacDowell, capt (0-2), James Mackin, Ryan Bergin (0-5), Adam Phelan, Josh Haines Bryan (1-1). Sub - Matthew Bergin for J. Mackin.

Galmoy/Windgap - Kevin Duggan, Brendan Power, Darragh O’Shea, Michael Vaughan, Martin Duggan, Jason Stanley (1-3, frees), Darren Grace, James Vaughan, Frank Phelan, Niall Walsh, Daniel Cashin (0-1), Peter Hennessy (0-3, two frees), Eoghan Vaughan (capt), Padraig Walsh, Cian Hynes. Sub - Kieran Phelan for F. Phelan (inj).

Referee - Willie Kearney (Dunnamaggin).