Bookle is top boy for Tullogher

Tullogher-Rosbercon 2-12

Tullogher-Rosbercon 2-12

Young Irelands 1-12

TULLOGHER claimed an impressive scalp and gave their intermediate status a healthy kick - but not before suffering a scare or two along the way.

The men from the South are nothing if not battlers, putting in some impressive performances since their ascension from the junior ranks a few seasons ago. They fought hard again on Saturday, working well to get the better of a previously unbeaten Young Irelands (Gowran) at a well-appointed Tom Walsh Park.

The man of the hour was two-goal hero Martin Bookle. Playing on the edge of the square he raised the green flag in both halves, the second of which paved the way to victory.

That strike came little over 60 seconds into the new half. Racing from right to left, Bookle kept his eye on the sliotar as a Pat Hartley free broke loose. He pulled first time, rifling a shot to the top left corner.

The goal was the perfect launchpad for Tullogher to take control. They followed up with points from Walter Walsh and Liam Barron (free) to move seven clear by the 40th minute (2-11 to 1-7). Walsh chipped in with another minor score two minutes later - picking off a quick Gowran puck-out and firing it over the bar - to make it an eight-point gap.

Incredibly, that was also their last score of the afternoon.

Tullogher were quick off the mark from throw-in. Within seven minutes they were five points to the good, John (2) and Liam Barron grabbing the majority of these.


They could have been even further in front. Martin Bookle gave Irelands a fright when he blocked down Martin Carey’s clearance and picked up the sliotar, but he drilled his fourth minute shot to the left of the far post when a goal was there for the taking.

It took Gowran 10 minutes to open their account with a Paul Keogh free. Their day took a turn for the worse as Eoin Walsh limped out of the game soon after, but Keogh’s second score from another placed ball seemed to settle the side.

Tullogher has eased off the gas after their fast start, but points from John Barron and Walsh seemed to reignite their cause. Again, they created a goal chance when a John Cottrell delivery dropped in front of Bookle, but his close-range shot was well smothered by netminder Carey.

Those missed chances looked costly, especially when Gowran cut the gap to two points on 20 minutes. Panic spread when Paul Holden’s free dropped on the edge of the square. Chris Nolan’s instinctive shot was well stopped by Martin Roche, but he was powerless to prevent Paul Keogh from bundling the loose ball home.

At that stage Gowran looked to be back in contention, but Tullogher made the perfect reply, Bookle darting in to scoop the sliotar home after Liam Barron’s 23rd minute free was deflected away from the posts (1-7 to 1-2).

The sides then traded the scores of the game, Sean Keogh and Walter Walsh both pointing from line balls in quick succession, before Irelands went on the charge. They dominated the closing stages of the half, Keogh rattling over another brace as they whittled away the deficit. Tullogher looked nervous, but Moling Cottrell found enough room deep into stoppage time to grab the point that gave his side a little more breathing room at the interval (1-9 to 1-7).

On fire

Tullogher were on fire from the restart, blasting their way into an eight-point by the 42nd minute. However, they seemed to think the job was done by then, allowing Irelands to claw their way back into the reckoning with another rally.

Again, Paul Keogh got them moving with two frees. With Tullogher spurning shooting chances of their own Gowran laid siege to their rivals’ posts, Dick Carroll chipping another point off the deficit with a long range point in the last five minutes (2-12 to 1-10).

Rather than pick off points Gowran tried to find more goals in the dying minutes, a tactic which failed as a resolute Tullogher defence put their bodies - literally - on the line in the final frenetic stages. Sean Keogh’s stinging shot was deflected out for a 65, while a blanket defence beat away Paul Holden’s delivery from the resulting 65.

Irelands went back to snapping up points in the closing stages, Paul Keogh (2) leaving just a goal between the sides with injury-time to play. However, they couldn’t get that last gasp equaliser, a relieved Tullogher holding out until the final whistle.

SCORERS: Tullogher-Rosbercon - Martin Bookle (2-1), Walter Walsh (0-5, 0-1 line ball), John Barron (0-3), Liam Barron (0-2, frees), Moling Cottrell (0-1). Young Irelands - Paul Keogh (1-7, 0-6 frees), Sean Keogh (0-3, 0-1 line ball), Paul Holden (0-1, free), Dick Carroll (0-1).

Tullogher-Rosbercon - M. Roche, D. Grennan, J. Hartley, K. Barron, A. Cottrell, P. Hartley, J. Grennan, J. Cottrell, L. Barron, M. Cottrell, M. Grennan, W. Walsh, J. Barron, M. Bookle, P. Ryan.

Young Irelands - M. Carey, N. Walsh, E. Byrne, C. Carroll, J. Dunphy, P. Holden, E. Walsh, J.J. Lennon, M. Lennon, J.P. Treacy, D. Carroll, S. Keogh, C. Nolan, T. Carroll, P. Keogh. Subs: M. Carter for E. Walsh (inj), 12 mins; P. Carroll for Nolan, 42 mins; J. Morris for Treacy, 50 mins.

Referee - M. Flynn (Mooncoin).