Great win for Galmoy/Windgap

Galmoy/Windgap 2-6

Galmoy/Windgap 2-6

Dicksboro B 1-8

THE Galmoy/Windgap under-14 hurlers emerged victorious from this cracking Roinn C championship quarter-final against Dicksboro B in James’s Park.

The game may have been in Roinn C, but provided tremendous excitement right to the very last whistle on Sunday morning with the Galmoy/Windgap boys showing fierce heart and determination when needed most.

Playing with the breeze Galmoy/Windgap began with a long distance free from centre-back Brandon Phelan. It got even better when, in the fourth minute, Conor Grace got on the end of a Niall Walsh delivery and stuck the sliotar in the net.

Peter Lynch opened the Dicksboro account in the eighth minute and then his side grab their only goal of the game. Full-forward Pannus Brennan’s well-struck shot was excellently blocked by James Culleton, but David Ryan was quickest to react and first-timed the loose ball to the net.

The Galmoy/Windgap reaction was immediate. They worked the ball up the right wing and, when Conor Grace sent a probing delivery across the Dicksboro goalmouth, Eavan Morrissey was there to fire it to the corner of the net (2-1 to 1-1).

Although points from Oisin Gough, Peter Lynch and David Ryan helped Dicksboro’s cause, it was Galmoy/Windgap who finished the half the stronger side. Conor Grace, Galmoy/Windgap’s most effective forward in the first half, turned a Brandon Phelan delivery into a 23rd minute point before Phelan finished the half with two very impressive long distance scores. A sole reply from midfielder Kieran Ryan left the ‘Boro trailing by three at half-time (2-5 to 1-5).

Dicksboro came out with all guns blazing in the second half, but did so without goalkeeper Gavin Byrne, who suffered a broken finger while making a save just before the interval. With forward Colin Dempsey now in goal Eavan Carroll converted a 65 to leave two points between the sides. But, just as they were gaining ground the ’Boro lost midfielder Kieran Ryan to injury.

Still the city side ploughed on. A point from sub Adam Clifford left one between the teams before wing-back Robert Crotty pushed forward and levelled the game in the 53rd minute.

The honours seemed city-bound but despite having just 16 players to choose from, the Galmoy/Windgap boys showed tremendous spirit and got their reward when, in a last minute attack, the hard-working Oisín Phelan won a 40 metre free.

Niall Walsh made the long journey upfield from centre-back a worthwhile trip, striking the winner from an acute angle. Dicksboro threw everything into all-out attack during the three minutes of injury-time, but the Galmoy/Windgap lads held out for a place in the semi final.

Galmoy/Windgap - James Culleton, Ryan Murphy, Jack Delaney, Sean Phelan, Cathal Phelan, Brandon Phelan (0-3, 0-1 frees), Josh Price, Patrick Grace, Robert White, Oisín Phelan, Niall Walsh (0-2, frees), Conor Drennan, Conor Grace (1-1), Eavan Morrissey (1-0), Conor Kelly. Sub: Patrick O’Callaghan for Conor Kelly, 41 mins.

Dicksboro B - Gavin Byrne, Alan Corcoran, Liam Kennedy, Kieran Dunne, Cian Butler, Evan Carroll (0-1, 65), Robert Crotty (0-1), Shane O’Gorman, Kieran Ryan (0-1), Oisín Gough (0-1), Cormac Buggy, Peter Lynch (0-2), David Ryan (1-1), Pannus Brennan, Colin Dempsey. Subs: David Delahunty for Kieran Ryan (inj), 35 mins; Dara Lynch for David Ryan, 43 mins; Harry Duggan, Jack Woods, Adam Clifford (0-1).

Referee - Peter Burke (Emeralds).