Galmoy hold nerve to edge through in tight finish

Galmoy 0-15

Galmoy 0-15

St Patrick’s 2-8

Galmoy grabbed a one point win over St Patrick’s (Ballyragget) in this first round Northern junior hurling ‘B’ champioship game at Ballyragget on Sunday. Apart from a brief few minutes in the first quarter Galmoy shaded the game all through and just about deserved to win.

The return to action of Phil Russell, after almost a year out of the game, contributed immensely to the Galmoy win although Brian Doherty, Thomas Phelan (Bawn) and Gavin Doherty also battled hard. For the home side, Patrick McEvoy was solid at full-back with Brian Mulhall, Sean Gleeson and John Staunton also to the fore.

Brendan Sherman got Galmoy off the mark and they went three points clear after a free from Tom Phelan (Bawn) and a Phil Russell minor. Brendan Brophy opened the home side’s account after five minute. In the sixth minute John Staunton grabbed a Barry Staunton delivery and won a free straight in front of the Galmoy goal.

From the placed ball he made no mistake and shook the net. A minute later it was John Staunton again who pointed from a Jack Ryan delivery. When play was blown up for an injury in the 10th minute Galmoy had possession, and from the resultant indirect free Tom Phelan flicked to Phil Russell, who pointed.

Frank Phelan levelled from the right wing after 12 minutes. A silly free conceded saw Ballyragget goalkeeper Mark Tyler drive a huge free down the right wing from where John Holland struck over a smashing point. This left the home side ahead after the first quarter, 1-3 to 0-5.

Strangely, Ballyragget didn’t score in the second quarter. Galmoy dominated, but hit a total of five wides in that period. They had a pointed free each from Phil Russell and Padhric Gray along with one from play by Tom Phelan (Bawn) to lead at half-time by 0-8 to 1-3.

The winners also set the pace after the break and went five points ahead by the end of the third quarter thanks mostly to Russell frees (0-11 to 1-3). Two quick fire points by Sean Gleeson, the second after a piercing run, kept the local hopes alive.

They were thrown a real lifeline in the 52nd minute when John Holland rifled a ground shot to the Galmoy net to set up an exciting finish. Both Leo and Gavin Doherty won important frees to keep the winners ahead, although John Staunton tried to inspire a St Patrick’s revival with a good 57th minute point.

Brian Mulhall too hit two impressive long range scores from placed balls but Galmoy prevailed.

Galmoy - Jimmy Ryan, Brian Doherty, Brendan Delaney, Eoin Glendon, Thomas Phelan (Castletown), Phil Doyle, Pierce Harte, Phil Russell (0-9, 0-7 frees), Thomas Phelan, Bawn (0-2, one freee), Padhric Gray (0-1, free), Gavin Doherty, Frank Phelan (0-2), Niall O’Higgins, Brendan Sherman (0-1), Joe Ryan. Subs - Leo Doherty for J. Ryan; Micheál Phelan for N. O’Higgins.

St Patrick’s - Mark Tyler, Dermot Brophy, Patrick McEvoy, Mark Staunton, Brian Mulhall (0-2, frees), Gerry Kennedy, Conor Foley, Jack Ryan, Barry Staunton, Sean Gleeson (0-2), John Holland (1-1), Brendan Brophy (0-1), John Phelan, John Staunton (1-2), Enda Mooney. Subs - Lorcan Price for B. Staunton; Conor Bolger for J. Phelan.

Referee - John Guinan (St Lachtain’s).