MHL Roinn B: Galmoy/Windgap 5-4 Danesfort 1-10

The ability to take goal chances saw Galmoy/Windgap take the spoils against Danesfort in this minor hurling league Roinn B clash at Windgap on Monday.

The ability to take goal chances saw Galmoy/Windgap take the spoils against Danesfort in this minor hurling league Roinn B clash at Windgap on Monday.

In the early moments Danesfort appeared to be the sharper outfit and made a good start. Just three minutes in Jack Bruton send a hopping ball goalward, à la Matt Ruth, which deceived goalkeeper Kevin Duggan and the ball found the net.

Bruton added two frees to give his side a 1-2 to 0-0 lead after 10 minutes. After good work by Eoghan Vaughan, Padraig Walsh batted the sliotar to the Danesfort net to get the home side off the mark. William Phelan and Jason Stanley points had the teams level, 1-2 each after 20 minutes.

Eoghan Vaughan shook the net a minute later when he kicked home after a mazy solo. Galmoy/Windgap might have been further ahead at this stage were it not for two cracking saves by Danesfort ’keeper Patrick Tynan. When the winners won a penalty in the 23rd minute, Jason Stanley came from centre-back and slammed the sliotar home.

Cillian Treacy worked hard for Danesfort’s last score of the half, while a neat Eoghan Vaughan point gave the hosts a 3-4 to 1-3 half-time lead.

In the first minute of the new half Cian Hynes put Eoghan Vaughan through for his second goal. Strangely, they were not to score again until the last minute. In the interim, Danesfort tried to retrieve the game.

They brought their most productive forward, Jack Bruton to midfield in a bid to win possession. With Ronan Leahy and Patrick Hickey playing well in defence at this stage, the black and amber boys began to creep back in to the game. Two Bruton frees reduced the deficit.

Busy substitute Emmett Nugent was denied a goal by a good Kevin Duggan save in the 39th minute. Ten minutes later Philip Cooney, who began to roam out the field, pointed and was unlucky with another effort. When Jack Bruton won a 53rd minute free, Cillian Treacy assumed free taking duties to convert two in-a-row.

Michael O Neill was now doing well at centre-back for Danesfort and with Ger Dunne pushing forward to shoot two points in quick succession, the margin was down to three with as many minutes remaining. In that final minute, however, Eoghan Vaughan worked hard to put Frank Phelan through for Galmoy/Windgap’s fifth goal.

In defence for the winners, Darragh O Shea, Jason Stanley and Pa Moore cleared a lot of ball while Daniel Cashin and Peter Hennessy worked hard up front, even if they didn’t score.

Danesfort lined out without the services of Kilkenny CBS midfielder, Darragh Sheehan, who picked up a shoulder injury in the All-Ireland colleges final on Saturday.

Galmoy/Windgap - Kevin Duggan, Patrick Moore, Darragh O’Shea, Michael Vaughan, Martin Duggan, Jason Stanley, capt (1-1, goal penalty), Darren Grace, William Phelan (0-1), James Vaughan, Peter Hennessy, Frank Phelan (1-0), Daniel Cashin, Eoghan Vaughan (2-1), Padraig Walsh (1-0), Cian Hynes(0-1). Sub - Brendan Power for D. Grace 48 mins.

Danesfort - Patrick Tynan, Patrick Hickey, Darren Knox, James Tynan, Ronan Leahy, Michael O’Neill, Conor O’Neill, Colm Phelan, Ger Dunne (0-2), Gary Tynan, Cillian Treacy (0-3,0-2frees), Brendan Hyland, Dion Fitzpatrick, Philip Cooney (0-1), Jack Bruton (1-4,0-4frees). Sub:Emmett Nugent for D. Fitzpatrick 34 mins.

Referee - Podge Butler (O’Loughlin Gaels).