Tullaroan goal rush made all the difference

Tullaroan 4-8

Tullaroan 4-8


The abilty to strike goals at vital times proved the difference between Tullaroan and Galmoy/Windgap in this under-16 hurling league Roinn B tie at Windgap. Skilful corner-forward Shane Walsh started the ball rolling with a first minute strike to the home net.

By the seventh minute the visitors had 1-3 on the ’board and were looking good. By contrast, Galmoy/Windgap had hit five wides before Niall Walsh opened their account from a placed balls, and then he landed a second one. Emmett Landy added another free from well inside his own half to leave that Walsh goal between the sides.

In the 24th minute Tullaroan’s second goal arrived, again involving Shane Walsh. This time he set off on a solo forward before off-loading possession to Liam Teehan, who shot to the net.

Emmett Landy and Niall Walsh responded with home points. As half-time approached Tullaroan won a free at midfield but when the sliotar was moved forward for dissent it handed Shane Walsh a handy pointed free to leave the half-time score, 2-5 (T) to 0-5.

Galmoy/Windgap lost wing-back, Darren Grace, with an ankle injury received on the stroke of the break and Tullaroan lost Sam Grace, who was injured in the same clash. Tullaroan began the new half well but didn’t score during the third quarter.

They were denied twice by good saves by James Culleton on goal. At the other end Emmett Landy struck over two more points. Diarmuid Doheny had been loarding it at full-back for the winners, but when Kevin Duggan was moved in to full-forward after the break, he began to win vital possession.

The introduction of Cathal Phelan at centre-forward also made a big difference and both these players combined for Duggan to shoot a 40th minute goal and reduce the deficit to the minimum, 2-5 to 1-7.

Galmoy/Windgap fought back into contention but this was all undone when a defender was caught in possession at midfield, lost the ball, only for Bill Cuddihy to solo straight up the field and release Liam Teehan for his second goal. With four points in it, Galmoy/Windgap won a 25 metre free.

Peter Hennessy elected to shoot on goal. Diarmuid Doheny stopped the sliotar and sent it right upfield for Jason Riordan to shoot a point. This gave Tullaroan the heart to drive on.

The impressive John Walton added another before they struck green again. This time James Moore was gifted possession and he finished well to the net. Tommy Walsh and Jack Keoghan were also very impressive for Tullaroan.

These sides meet again in the first round of the championship later in the summer.

Tullaroan - Dylan Simpson, John Cuddihy, Diarmuid Doheny, Martin Keoghan, Tommy Walsh, Jack Keoghan, Bob Cuddihy, Jason Riordan (0-1), Kieran Lanigan, Sam Grace, Bill Cuddihy (0-1), John Walton (0-2), Liam Teehan (2-1), James Moore, capt (1-0), Shane Walsh (1-2, two points frees). Sub - John Dooley (0-1) for S. Grace.

Galmoy/Windgap - James Culleton, David Doyle, Kieran Phelan, Sean Phelan, Jack Delaney, Darragh O’Shea, Darren Grace, Emmett Landy, capt (0-4, two frees), Kevin Duggan (1-0), Niall Walsh (0-3, two frees), Cian Hynes, Cameron Murphy, Tim Molloy, Peter Hennessy (0-1, free), Josh Price. Subs - Oisin Phelan for T. Molloy (inj); Cathal Phelan for C. Murphy; Robert White for D. Grace (inj); Conor Grace for E. Landy (inj).

Referee - John McCormack (James Stephens).