Galmoy power back to earn exciting draw



Kilmacow 1-13

A STRONG and determined finish saw Galmoy seize a share of the spoils in this keenly contested county junior hurling league tie at Kilmacow on Sunday. The scores were level at half-time at 0-11 (G) to 1-8, but backed by a strong breeze, Kilmacow had forged a goal ahead at the three quarter mark and looked to be on course for victory.

Galmoy battled all the way and might have plundered a goal on 54 minutes but for a wonderful save by Richie O’Neill. That move came when man of the match Niall Doherty soloed right upfield before laying the sliotar off to Martin Phelan, who passed to Noel Doherty.

After rounding his man Doherty saw his well struck shot excellently turned out for a 65, which Stephen Murphy converted and reduced the deficit to the minimum.

Two minutes later Richard McNamara won a 20 metre free for the hosts which was converted by the in form Johnny Hayes. Galmoy had a let off when Richard McNamara rounded his man and headed for goal, but he was dispossessed by Liam Drennan and a goal threat was averted.

Stephen Murphy replied again from a placed ball 30 metres out on the right side line when Thomas Phelan had been fouled.

With the game in injury-time, Noel Doherty won a hard ball 50 metres from goal, turned and beat two men before he was unceremoniously grounded. Stephen Murphy cooly stepped up and levelled the game with his eleventh point.

The opening moments were even enough with Luke Harney opening the Kilmacow account from a free which was answered by a long distance free by Galmoy’s Martin Phelan. A good solo forward and pass by Niall Doherty gave Stephen Maher the third point which drew a reply from Shay Dempsey.

Five minutes into the game fans were treated to the only goal. A delivery out of the Kilmacow defence by Brian Fleming was won by Shane Gaule, who passed out to Josh Tobin as he made a run up the right wing. Tobin spotted that Richard McNamara was unmarked in front of the Galmoy goal and he sent a clever ball in, which McNamara collected and had little difficulty slotting home.

The remainder of the half produced tit-for-tat fare as Galmoy made good use of the wind and hit a decent first half total of 11 points. However, they gave away some easy possession at the back and allowed the home side stay in contention.

Stephen Murphy hit some excellent first half frees while Stephen Delaney made full use of the elements with a 23rd minute score from inside his own half. The Kilmacow forwards tried to pull the visitors defence out of position with constant movement, and both Richard McNamara and Shay Dempsey were involved in most of their scores along with Johnny Hayes, who missed just one free over the hour.

Galmoy - Liam Drennan, Brian Doherty, Brendan Phelan (capt), Jason Stanley, John Phelan, Niall Doherty, Michael Brennan, Martin Phelan (0-2, one free ), Nigel Stanley, Stephen Maher (0-1), Stephen Delaney (0-1), Noel Doherty (0-1), Thomas Phelan (Bawn), Stephen Murphy (0-11, nine frees), Donnacha Gray. Sub - Eamonn Corcoran for S. Maher.

Kilmacow - Richie O’Neill (capt), Ray Hennessy, Dean Power, Ian Aherne, Brian Fleming, Luke Harney, Andrew Kearns, Denis Scully, Sean Flynn, Josh Tobin, Peter Mullaly (0-1), Johnny Hayes (0-6, frees), Richard McNamara (1-2), Shane Gaule (0-1), Shay Dempsey (0-2). Subs - Michael Sweeney for S. Gaule; Willie O’Toole for R. Hennessy.

Referee - Dominic Connolly (Mooncoin).