Dempsey to the rescue for Kilmacow

A 63rd minute point by Shay Dempsey earned Kilmacow a share of the spoils in this All County junior hurling league tie against Galmoy in Kilmacow on Sunday (0-12 each).

A 63rd minute point by Shay Dempsey earned Kilmacow a share of the spoils in this All County junior hurling league tie against Galmoy in Kilmacow on Sunday (0-12 each).

It was a powerful last thrust that earned parity for the home side as Galmoy had dominated proceedings for the previous 50 minutes.

Unfortunately for the visitors, they hit a total of 15 wides as opposed to seven for the home side.

Backed by a fresh breeze, Galmoy were off the mark after a minute of play per Stephen Maher, while the Corcoran brothers combined for point number two, when Eamonn batted down to Thomas, who pointed from 40 metres.

Brian Fleming opened the Kilmacow account from a long-distance free, which was won by Ryan McKenna.

Shay Dempsey sent over a nice point over his shoulder to level it up. In the ninth minute, Nigel Stanley sent a low ball in to Donncha Gray who pointed, but Galmoy then went on to hit a series of wides, before Noel Doherty stopped the rot from a 23rd minute free ,won by Thomas Corcoran.

Reacted smartly

A minute later, Gavin Doherty reacted smartly and took a quick line ball to his brother Noel ,who pointed from the left wing. Noel Doherty then added another after some hard grafting at midfield by Niall Doherty. That was Galmoy’s last score of the half. Kilmacow themselves showed a similar lack of accuracy in that second quarter, with five wides in succession before the break, at which they trailed their opposition,0-6 to 0-2.

For the new half, Kilmacow switched their corner backs, Ian Ahearne and John Barron. Ahearne had a solid second half.

At the other end, Paddy O’Keeffe had moved to full forward. Centre-forward Sean Flynn took up position at midfield, while Josh Tobin was introduced at left half forward.

Tobin had an immediate impact when he sent a low ball in to Paddy O’Keeffe, who pointed. The visitors then missed out on two goal chances in succession.Galmoy won a close in free which was blocked but then, Richie O’Neill brought off a point-blank save from a Gavin Doherty shot.

Noel Doherty pointed the resultant 65.The same player then soloed through the Kilmacow defence in the 36th minute, but his shot on goal was blocked by Ian Ahearne.

Up the field, a trip on Johnny Hayes gave Shay Dempsey the chance to convert another Kilmacow free, and then the speedy Hayes went on a short solo before pointing off his left: Galmoy 0-7, Kilmacow 0-5.

Storming finish

Thomas Corcoran won another free which Noel Doherty pointed, but a good cross by Johnny Hayes found Paddy O’Keeffe who replied in style.

Galmoy then stretched away a little when firstly, Nigel Stanley grabbed a poor Kilmacow line ball and sent over, before Noel Doherty did likewise after Richie O’Neill was dispossessed in attempting to clear.

With ten minutes remaining, Galmoy now led 0-10 to 0-6. Kilmacow left half back, Dean Power, had a storming finish to the game and fielded a number of impressive balls which he used to good advantage in setting up his forwards.

He sent forward three deliveries in succession, all of which resulted in points per Johnny Hayes and two from Shay Dempsey.

Along with a Dempsey free, Kilmacow had now levelled proceedings with the game entering injury time. Noel Doherty put Galmoy ahead once more when Thomas Corcoran was fouled on the left wing, but Peter Mullally replied with a class point from 40 metres for the hosts.

Again Doherty pointed a free as the game entered the 62nd minute. In a last gasp attack, Johnny Hayes won possession on the right wing, and found Shay Dempsey with a pass to level the game for the last time.

John Phelan and Thomas Phelan had done well in defence for Galmoy, with Jason Stanley clearing well throughout. Up front, Noel Doherty was the chief scorer.

For Kilmacow, Ian Ahearne did well and Dean Power were superb in the closing stages. Johnny Hayes always spelt danger when he was on the ball, with Shay Dempsey scoring regularly.

Galmoy - Stephen Murphy, Brian Doherty, Brendan Phelan (capt), John Phelan, Eamonn Corcoran, Jason Stanley, Thomas Phelan, Niall Doherty, Stephen Maher (0-1), Thomas Corcoran (0-1), Nigel Stanley (0-1), Martin Phelan, Donncha Gray (0-1), Noel Doherty (0-8, 0-5 frees), Gavin Doherty. Subs - Joe Dollard (0-2) for M. Phelan.

Kilmacow - Richie O’Neill, Ian Ahearne, Tom Reddy, John Barron, Brian Fleming (0-1, free), Ray Hennessy, Dean Power, Andy Kearns, Ryan McKenna, Shane Gaule, Sean Flynn, Paddy O’Keeffe (0-2), Johnny Hayes (0-2), Peter Mullally (0-1), Shay Dempsey (0-6, 0-2 frees). Subs - Josh Tobin for A. Kearns; Richard Walsh for S. Gaule.

Referee - Dominic Connolly (Mooncoin).