Lisdowney complete good hurling double

Lisdowney 1-8

Lisdowney 1-8

Danesfort 1-7

The Allianz Cumann na mBunscol action continued in Nowlan Park with the Top Oil Roinn C hurling final. Both sides here were chasing a double.

Danesfort were seeking to add to their Roinn B football title while Lisdowney were looking for a hurling double as they had won the Tommy O’Brien Cup a week previously. Danesfort started well going up three points in seven minutes thanks to scores from Darragh O’Neill.

In the 10th minute David O’Carroll placed a free over the bar following a foul on Niall Brennan and Lisdowney got into their stride. A minute later Niall Brennan gathered the sliotar, soloed in and buried it in the net for a terrific goal.

Danesfort replied immediately with a point from Aidan McGree. It was all action now as the play swung from end to end with some terrific blocking from both teams. Cathal Power remained steadfast in the Lisdowney goal and cleared his next save well up the pitch where Gary O’Sullivan was waiting to collect before getting in another shot at goal.

Serious challenge

The ball was deflected out and the resultant 65 was this time sent high and over the bar.

Danesfort had one more serious challenge on the Lisdowney goal in this half, but the ball was kicked wide as was the story for the next five minutes for Lisdowney as they had three frees which went wide or fell short and did not reach the target.

Eventually with three minutes left in the half Niall Brennan took a long range point. Straight away a neat hand-pass from Marty McEvoy was also placed over the bar by Niall. The half-time score was Lisdowney 1-4, Danesfort 0-4.

The second half began with Danesfort again opening the scoring. Conor O’Keeffe was fouled going through and he pointed the free to reduce the gap to two. It was all Danesfort now as they piled on the pressure in search of an equaliser.

Lisdowney were not for yielding though and they were prepared to put their bodies on the line to protect the lead. Marty McEvoy was fouled and David O’Carroll pointed the free.

Tremendous battle

The play shifted then for the next five minutes as Danesfort put up a tremendous battle. They put the Lisdowney back line under fierce pressure, forcing some top class defending from the Campion brothers and Jack McGree in the full-back line.

The Danesfort’s pressure earned them two frees which were converted by Conor O’Keeffe and Darragh O’Neill.

Lisdowney took control again then, but they were still hounded by wide balls with four of their next six shots going wide. Then came the crunch. With three minutes remaining Danesfort scored their fourth free of the half as Conor O’Keeffe lobbed the ball high in to the goalmouth where it landed in the back of the net.

The pressure was on, 1-8 to 1-7, as Danesfort launched a final bid for victory. Lisdowney ’keeper, Cathal Power, stood firm and his side held on for a narrow but deserving victory.

Lisdowney - Cathal Power, Luke Campion, Laurence Campion, Jack McGree, Conor Tallis, James Phelan, Gary O’Sullivan (0-1), David O’Carroll (0-3, frees), Marty McEvoy, Niall Brennan (1-4, 0-1 free), Eimear Walsh, Aidan Tallis, Mark Fitzpatrick and Eoin Delaney. Subs - Sean Keyes, Shane Grace, Dean Brophy, Michael McInereney, Hugh Murphy, Eddie Cahill, Rory Kenny, Mairead Kennedy, Holly Moore, Claire O’Carroll, Emma McEvoy, Aoibheann Murphy, Laura O’Sullivan, Jack Crosby, Jake D’arcy, Lee McCann, Ross McCann.

Danesfort - Joe Cowhig, Brian McDonald, Conor Condon, Peter Donohoe, Michael O’Shaughnessy (capt), Conor McGree, Colin McKenna, Darragh Roberts, Sean Comerford, Aidan McGree (0-1), Darragh O’ Neill (0-3), Jim Ryan, Evan McDonald, Conor O’Keefe (1-3 frees), Thomas Leahy. Subs - Adam Byrne, Alex Duggan, Conor Farrell, Conor Whitty, Peter O Brien, Kevin McGrath, Liam O’Sullivan, Eoin Carroll, Matthew Moore, John Canny, Darragh Hackett, Liam O Reilly.