Stanley steals late victory

A LAST minute goal by Jason Stanley stole victory for Galmoy/Windgap over Conahy Shamrocks in this entertaining minor hurling league Roinn B game in Galmoy (5-3 to 2-11).

A LAST minute goal by Jason Stanley stole victory for Galmoy/Windgap over Conahy Shamrocks in this entertaining minor hurling league Roinn B game in Galmoy (5-3 to 2-11).

While Conahy’s total of 2-11 might be a normal tally for a minor team,it was the ability of the Galmoy/Windgap boys to regularly find the net that eventually won the day. On a bitterly cold evening, the game was a slow burner with both sets of players finding conditions difficult.

Worked hard

Frank Phelan and Edmond Delaney traded early frees before the first goal arrived. Padraig Walsh worked extremely hard around the square to create the opening for Peter Hennessy to slam the ball home. Edmond Delaney pointed from play and then last year’s All-Ireland Féile-na-nGael skills champion pointed a smashing line ball from 30 metres for Conahy.

The visitors were dominant, but were wayward in their shooting and amassed a total of seven first half wides. Galmoy/Windgap were living on scraps, but they made maximum use of minimum possession to raise another green flag against the run of play.

Eoghan Vaughan brought the sliotar in along the right endline before kicking it across the face of the goal. Peter Hennessy reacted quickest and flicked the ball to the net. Conahy responded with points from Tom Phelan, Edmond Delaney and Pat Byrne, but it was the winners who led at half-time by 2-1 to 0-6.

Traded frees

Edmond Delaney and Peter Hennessy traded early frees after the break before Conahy went ahead courtesy of a James Bergin point. They consolidated that lead when the excellent Tom Phelan sent a piledriver to the home net in the 44th minute to leave it Conahy 1-8, Galmoy/Windgap 2-2.

Padraic Delaney brought off a good save from Daniel Cashin before the home side goaled again. This time a long delivery by Jason Stanley was flicked on by Padraig Walsh and the ball hopped in behind the last line of defence. Cian Hynes ran on to it, coolly picked the sliotar and settled it in the corner of the net to regain the lead.

A Delaney free levelled matters again. Daniel Cashin then took a pass from William Phelan and after a 20 metre solo, flicked the ball off his hurley past the oncoming Padraic Delaney. Conahy stormed back. The hard-working Sean Brennan bundled home the sliotar after a goalmouth melee to give them the advantage as time ebbed away.

Dangerous lead

Two further points from Edmond Delaney, one free, gave them a dangerous two point lead as the game ran into injury-time. When Galmoy/Windgap won a lineball 50 metres out on the left wing they pushed centre back Jason Stanley up front in pursuit of victory.

Emmett Landy struck a great line ball which was won by Peter Hennessy. Despite being surrounded, Hennessy off loaded to Stanley and the net bulged. Conahy had no time to respond.

Darragh O’Shea and Darren Grace were excellent in defence for the winners while Kevin Duggan did well in goal. For Conahy, Nicholas Feehan, Tom Phelan and Donal Cass did well in addition to the sweet striking Edmond Delaney.

Galmoy/Windgap - Kevin Duggan, Kieran Phelan, Darragh O’Shea, Darren Grace, Martin Duggan, Jason Stanley (1-0), Emmett Landy, William Phelan, Frank Phelan (0-1), Niall Walsh, Daniel Cashin (1-0), Peter Hennessy (2-2, 0-2 frees), Eoghan Vaughan, Padraig Walsh, Cian Hynes (1-0).

Conahy Shamrocks - Padraic Delaney, Niall Coogan, Nicholas Feehan, Adam Dempsey, Sean Walsh, Donal Cass, Philly Cass, Simon Callanan, Liam Cass, Tom Phelan (1-1), Sean Brennan (1-0), Edmond Delaney (0-8, 0-4frees), James Bergin (0-1), Garry Dunne, Pat Byrne (0-1).

Referee - Peter Burke (Emeralds).