The ’Vat boys collect silverware at their ease

Mullinavat 2-9

Mullinavat 2-9

St Patrick’s 0-4

THE Mullinavat minors produced a brilliant display of hurling to capture the Kilkenny Roinn B hurling championship title in Thomastown on Saturday. In a match played in dreadful conditions, the winners led from start to finish and they ran out comfortable winners.

St Patrick’s won the toss and opted to play against wind and rain. Mullinavat got off to a flying start with a point from Darren Waters in the first minute. They had two more on the ’board within five minutes through John McCabe and Mark Mansfield.

The losers were finding it difficult to get any foothold in the game. Mullinavat were winning the key battles in all areas. Two more points were added from Mark Mansfield and a free from Simon Aylward in the 11th minute. Kevin Kelly was trying everything in his power to get his team moving but his opposite marker John McCabe was having an excellent game for Mullinavat.

Wasteful shooting

The winners, while playing the better hurling, were guilty of some wasteful shooting and they failed to add to their tally during the next 10 minutes. Then in the 21st minute came the goal which would set them on the road to victory. A clearance from defence by Robert Malone was caught by Pat Mulhern. He found Liam Fennelly, who passed inside to Conor Duggan, and he made no mistake to give the Southerners a great boost.

Mullinavat were in full flow and points followed from John Walsh and a huge free from inside his own 45m line from Simon Aylward to stretch the lead to 10 points. Liam Fennelly added another smasher from 65 metres and right on half-time they added a second goal when Conor Duggan found Mark Mansfield. The latter blasted to the net.

Commanding lead

This gave Mullinavat a commanding lead of 2-8 to 0-0.

The losers lost more ground after the turn. Within a minute Mark Mansfield pointed for the ’Vat following a good pass from Pat Mulhern. St Pat’s refused to throw in the towel. Conor Bolger pointed but they found it hard to break down a stubborn defence in which Robert Malone, Simon and Thomas Aylward were outstanding.

David Kelly pointed two frees and following sustained pressure St Patricks were awarded a penalty when Eoin Bergin was fouled. Kevin Kelly’s well struck shot was saved. It was game over.

Scorers: Mullinavat - Mark Mansfield (1-3); Conor Duggan (1-0); Simon Aylward (0-2, frees); John Walsh, Liam Fennelly, John McCabe and Darren Waters (0-1 each). St Patrick’s - David Kelly (0-2, frees); Conor Bolger, Eoin Bergin (0-1 each).

Mullinavat - Liam Walsh, Michael Jones, Thomas Aylward, Nathan Malone, Robert Malone, Simon Aylward, Brian Phelan, John Walsh, John McCabe, Darren Waters, Pat Mulhern, Mark Mansfield, Conor Duggan, Liam

Fennelly, Jason Dalton.

St Patrick’s - Billy Morrissey, Billy Butler, Paddy McEvoy, Niall Brophy, Mark Staunton, Robbie Healey, Lorcan Price, Jack Ryan, Kevin Kelly, Brendan Brophy, David Kelly, Shaun Gleeson, Shane Glennon, Eoin

Bergin, Conor Bolger.

Referee - Jim Fitzgerald (Piltown).