Piltown meet strong challenge head on to win

Piltown 1-18

Piltown 1-18

Galmoy 3-10

In an exciting junior hurling league round three encounter in Piltown on Saturday, the home side came from behind to

seal victory over Galmoy. After leading by two points at half-time, Piltown conceded two goals immediately after the break in addition to being reduced to 14 men, but they summoned up the determination to fight back and a Paul Kirby goal in the 59th minute gave them the advantage.

Galmoy began well with a Noel Doherty point. Piltown posted three in reply almost immediately. Nicky Kenny and Daniel Norris along with a James Norris 65 put them in control. Eamonn Corcoran struck over from 60 metres before Daniel Norris hit two in quick succession.

A hard earned free by Niall Doherty gave Stephen Murphy the chance to open his account for Galmoy.

Two saves within a minute by Liam Drennan kept Galmoy in the game. The first was from a Martin Power shot which Drennan diverted out for a 65, converted by James Norris. A minute later Norris went for goal from a 20 metre free but the ’keeper again denied him.

Big blow

James Norris had been causing consternation for the Galmoy defence but had to retire injured in the 20th minute. His loss was a big blow to Piltown. Nicky Kenny at midfield was running the game and struck over four smashing points in that opening 30 minutes.

In the 22nd minute Galmoy won a close in free when Stephen Maher was grounded. Stephen Murphy’s shot on goal was blocked by Andrew Norris, but Thomas Phelan flicked home the rebound. Stephen Delaney added a point but Piltown went to the break with the cushion of a two point lead, 0-12 to 1-7.

Galmoy made a great start to the new half. After striking a wide, Stephen Maher was fouled just outside the square. Stephen Murphy stepped up and blasted low to the net. Daniel Norris responded at the other end, but Galmoy struck back once more.

Again it was Stephen Maher who won a penalty which Stephen Murphy shot to the roof of the net. In the process, Piltown were reduced to 14 men and just five minutes had elapsed: Galmoy 3-7, Piltown 0-13.

Martin Power and Peter McCarthy from a long distance free reduced the deficit to the minimum but curiously, fans didn’t have any more scores for over 12 minutes. Both sides hit a series of wides as the pace of the game increased.

Last year’s county finalists suffered another loss in the 45th minute when their most impressive midfielder, Nicky Kenny had to leave the fray. Stephen Maher extended the Galmoy lead, courtesy of a nice pass from Stephen Murphy. But a foul on Martin Power saw Peter McCarthy add another pointed free for the home side.

Thomas Phelan and McCarthy, a free, exchanged points as time wore on.

Decisive score

With a minute of normal time remaining, the decisive score fell to Piltown. A Galmoy defender over carried the sliotar at midfield in front of the Piltown dug-out. Peter McCarthy dropped the resultant free into the square where the tall Paul Kirby rose unchallenged to flick the ball into the corner of the net.

The timing was perfect as Galmoy just had time for one more score, a Thomas Phelan point while Philly Kenny closed the scoring.

Unusually, a total of 15 players made the scoreboard in a free flowing encounter. Nicholas Kenny was excellent for Piltown while Danny Norris hit five points from play. Peter McCarthy and Philly Kenny also did well.

Niall Doherty was Galmoy’s best player, while up front Thomas Phelan and Stephen Murphy did most of the scoring with Stephen Maher and Gavin Doherty working hard all through.

Piltown - Andrew Norris, Brendan Norris, Andrew McCarthy, Pa Connolly, Peter McCarthy (0-3, frees), Shane Kinsella, capt, Neil Kelly, Philly Kenny (0-1), Nicholas Kenny (0-4), Noel Brophy, Daniel Norris (0-5), Paul Kirby (1-0), Martin Power (0-1), James Norris (0-3, two 65s), Richie McCarthy(0-1, free). Subs - Robbie Culleton for J. Norris (inj); Brendan McCarthy for N. Kenny (inj).

Galmoy - Liam Drennan, Michael Harte, Brendan Phelan (capt), Brian Doherty, Eamonn Corcoran (0-1), Niall Doherty, Jason Stanley, Martin Phelan, Nigel Stanley (0-1), Thomas Phelan, Bawn (1-2), Stephen Delaney (0-1), Noel Doherty (0-1), Stephen Maher (0-1), Stephen Murphy (2-3, 2-2 frees), Gavin Doherty.

Referee - Julian O’Dwyer (Windgap).