Top action all the way as Lisdowney Sevens lets young stars shine

The early action in the Lisdowney under-13 Sevens (7-a-side) tournament was one-sided, but on a fine and mild day the pitches were in excellent condition and were credit to the Lisdowney club.

The early action in the Lisdowney under-13 Sevens (7-a-side) tournament was one-sided, but on a fine and mild day the pitches were in excellent condition and were credit to the Lisdowney club.

The matches between Bennettsbridge and Dunamaggin on the first moring was good and even. Dunamaggin won by 2-3 to 1-5. Tullaroan were no match for Lisdowney, who won 6-11 to no score.

The next two matches were very one-sided. Naas started okay against Erin’s Own but ended up being beaten by 7-4 to 3-7. The derby between Fenians and Galmoy, although a tough match, ended in a 2-15 to no score win for the latter.

Lisdowney were in top order in their next match against Dunamaggin. They played well and won 3-4 to 1-2 to earn the a chance to play on home ground on final day in the Cup competition.

The Erin’s Own versus Galmoy match was the best of the day. Erin’s Own came out on top, 4-8 to 4-5.

The Shield match between Bennettsbridge and Tullaroan was won by the ’Bridge, 4-6 to 2-4. The second match between Naas and the Fenians was dominated throughout by the Kildare team. The Fenians, who had a player taken off injured earlier, only managed a point as Naas registered 6-15.

Going tough

First up in the afternoon matches were Ballyhale Shamrocks, who proved way to strong for Clogh Ballacolla (8-8 to 1-2), while Windgap lost to Mullinavat, 0-4 to 4-6.

The Harps found the going tought against O’Loughlin Gaels, losing by 6-7 to 0-5. The Moycarkey Borris versus Piltown match was a more even affair with the Tipp side winning by 3-8 to 2-2.

The afternoon finals for the day in the Shield were Erin’s Own v Galmoy, 3-4 to 4-5 and O’Loughlin Gaels v Moycarkery-Borris, 3-9 to 0-2; Cup were Dunamaggin v Lisdowney, 1-2 to 3-4 and Ballhale v Mullinavat, 5-12 to 3-2.

The weather was lovely again for the second day of action. Referees were Peter Burke, James Barry and John Guinan.

As usual the matches started and finished on time and there was a welcome cup of tea for all managers and spectators.

In the first round of matches Clara fall to Danesfort, 3-8 to 1-4, while Emeralds proved no contest for strong Freshford, 7-1 to 3-4.

Dicksboro and Barrow Rangers lined out in what was a fairly even game. The Boro got two fairly handy goals to put them well ahead in the first half. Paulstown narrowed the gap to a goal afterwards, but it wasn’t enough. The ’Boro won by 3-9 to 2-6. 

Camross gave the Rower-Inistioge a fair hammering, winning by 3-11 to 2-5.

The Shield final was between the Rower-Inistioge and Barrow Rangers. The first half was very competitive. With a minute to half time and the sides level it looked like anyone’s game. The ’Rangers scored a fast goal, giving them a lead of 1-5 to 1-2.

Paulstown upped their game and lashed home a goal and six points to a single point reply to stay in the Shield on a scoreline of 2-8 to 1-6.

Match of day

Clara took on the Emeralds in an exciting match that went to extra-time. Emeralds were ahead by a point at half-time. The second half produced hurling by both sides. With a minute to go Emeralds were a point up. Clara popped over a late point to equalise, 1-8 each.

Clara strode ahead by 3-2 to no score by half time but Emeralds were not to be ousted easily. They came back with 1-2 in the closing five minutes but Clara held on.

Meanwhile Danesfort and Freshford were battling it out for a spot in the Cup quarter-finals in the match of the day. The sides were evenly matched and were taking it in turn to score. They were level at half-time. With a minute remaining Danesfort were two points up and Freshford were awarded a free in front of goal. The shot was hard and accurate but the ball sailed over the bar.

The next two finals of the day were less exciting. The Rower Inisteoige were both playing well in their first half, but just a minute before the half time whistle the Rower got a class goal. In the second half, with the wind at their backs Paulstown strode ahead, scoring a goal and 6 points to only a point for the Rower. A full time score of 2-8 to 1-6 puts Barrow Rangers through.

Camross struggled through their first half against DIcksboro then. The city side were ahead by 2:3 before Camross got their first point and they got another goal and a point then before the half time score. When the Boro game out again they were on a roll, another goal and 5 points before Camross came back with 2-1, but it was too little too late and the Boro popped one last point for good measure. Full time score 3-12 to 3-3.

James Stephens  B met Conahy in a close match in the afternoon with Conahy winning by a narrow margin 2-4 to 1-5 while the wind kept Young Irelands in their match against Clarecastle for the first half of their match, but Clarecastle broke free in the second half and moved intot he cup matches.

Next up was newcomers to the tournament, a Dublin side Naomh Olaf who took on Graigue Ballycallan who were slow to get going but then had a convincing win knocking the Dublin side out 10-13 to 0-2.

The next match was scheduled as Butlerstown versus Cloneen, but luckily James Stephens brought a second team who faced Rathdowney Errils. This time it was James Stephen’s who ran away with the match. They were leading by 5-4 at half time to just 1-2. and finished very strong.

The Shield finals of the day then saw a tight low scoring match between James Stephen’s B team and Young Irelands. There was a good 20 minutes in the middle of the game when neither team scored. Gowran eventually came out on top 1-4 to 1-2.

The other shield match between Naomh Olaf and Rathdowney was a game of two halves. Rathdowney  Errils were up 2-6 to a point at half time with the wind, and then Naomh Olaf scored 2-4 to a point in the second half so Rathdowney went through there.

The match between Graigue-Ballycallan and James Stephen’s A had been anticipated eagerly but proved disappointing as the city team raced ahead with the wind at their backs to lead by 2-6 to 1-1 at half-time, and they continued their scoring barrage in the second half to finish 4-9 to 1-5.

Final day matches will include - SHIELD, Bennettsbridge, Naas, Clogh Ballacolla, Harps, Clara, Barrow Rangers, Young Irelands and Rathdowney Errils; CUP, Lisdowney, Erin’s Own, Ballyhale, O’Loughlin Gaels, Danesfort, Dicksboro, Clarecastle and James Stephens.

The same rules apply for final day. The same team sheets apply. No solo runs allowed, but players may hop the ball once or twice to ‘make space’. The second hop is only allowed to make space. Since a solo run is not a foul, the referee will ‘throw in’ the ball.

Substitution may be made at any time during game which is 15 minutes a side. Otherwise the Rules of An Treoirí Oifigiúil apply.


Timetable on Saturday - 10am Kilkenny Supporters Club Shield quarter-finals A Harps v Clara; B Clogh Ballacolla v Young Irelands; 10.40am Kilkenny Supporters Club Shield quarter-finals C Rathdowney Errils v Barrow Rangers; D Bennettsbridge v Naas; 11.20am Sweeney Cup quarter-finals E Lisdowney v Dicksboro; F Ballyhale Shamrocks v Danesfort; 12 noon Sweeney Cup quarter-finals G James Stephens v Erin’s Own; H O’Loughlin Gaels v Clarecastle;

12.20pm Kilkenny Supporters Club Shield final; 1pm Kilkenny Supporters Club Shield semi-finals, winners A v B and C v D; 1.40pm Sweeney Cup semi-finals, E v F and G v H; 3pm Sweeney Cup final.