Kilkenny County Chairman Paul Cuddihy and City Mayor David Fitzgerald are due to meet with Environment Minister Phil Hogan and Defence Minister Alan Shatter in the coming days to lobby for a secure future for the city’s James Stephens Barracks.
The local representatives are planning to “bring to them our concerns with regards to the future of the barracks”, Cllr Cuddihy told Monday’s County Council meeting.
“It is my hope that the army that marches out of the barracks to do its service overseas will have a barracks to march back into,” he said.
The issue had been raised by Cllr Tommy Prendergast (Lab), who noted that there are “troops leaving for Lebanon next month and they are still unsure where they will be stationed when they get back”.
Cllr Prendergast added that there were “in the region of 200 jobs at stake”.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.