Last week, Minister of the Environment Phil Hogan and . Liam Herlihy, chairman of Glanbia, took time out from their busy schedules to visit Kilkenny Archives at St. Kieran’s College. The purpose of their visit was to view the newly installed archival shelving, which Glanbia PLC., have donated.
Mgr. Kieron Kennedy was on hand to welcome the distinguished visitors to the St. Kieran’s College campus, as were Mr. Brendan Conway (chairman) , Mr. Peter Seaver (Hon. Treasurer) and Mr. John Kirwan the consultant archivist. The Rev. Dr. Fergus Farrell (committee member) was also present. Mr. Brenan Conway chairman of Kilkenny Archives invited Minister Hogan and Mr. Herlihy to view the refurbished and extended archives storage area. He referred to the day as a ‘bench mark day’in the progress of archives in Kilkenny.
Grant from Kilkenny Borough Council for Kilkenny Archives
Minister Hogan brought the good news that the Kilkenny City Borough Council, aware of the valuable work being done for archives in Kilkenny (city and county) by Kilkenny Archives, have agreed to grant-aid the work this year and in 2014.
New archival shelving paid for by Glanbia PLC
The new archival shelving was installed in early March in two of the six rooms which Mgr. Kieron Kennedy and the Trustees of St. Kieran’s College have placed at the disposal of Kilkenny Archives. They believe that Kilkenny Archives will have a pivotal educational role on the College campus (and for Kilkenny as a whole) in the years ahead, alongside the Outreach of the National University of Maynooth, and the Waterford Institute of Technology. The Maynooth Outreach at St. Kieran’s College will this year accept First Arts Students.
Mr. Herlihy was delighted to see Glanbia’s own archives, representing a number of the old co-operative creameries, which are now part of this ever expanding dynamic Irish company. Minute Books and other records are in situ from : Ballingarry, Ballyhale, Ballypatrick, Ballyragget (later Avonmore), Bennetsbridge, Callan, Castlecomer, Castlehale, Donaghmore, Dungarvan, Freshford, Barrowvale (Goresbridge), Glenmore, Graigcullen, IDA, Kells, Kilkenny (city), Kilmanagh, Leinster Milk, Loughcullen, Miloko, Moyglass (Killenaule), Muckalee, Mullinavat, Piltown, Slieverue, Shelburne and Windgap. There are also records from non-dairy companies such as Letterkenny Timber Co. Ltd., and The Bacon Co., of Ireland. All these records have been fully accessioned and are currently available for consultation.
Awaiting to be catalogued are the records from Inch Creamery, Co. Wexford, which only arrived at Kilkenny Archives last week. These include Minute Books, milk records and a number of framed illustrations including a portrait of Francois Mitterand, President of France, partaking of a YOPLAIT yogurt. Inch Creamery. Inch was an early creamery. Around the beginning of the 1890s the first of the Irish creameries were established. By 1893 there were at least thirty in the country. In 1895 the farmers around Inch came together and set up their creamery with a foundation date of 29 March 1895. The clergy often paid a key role and Inch is no exception with the then Archbishop of Dublin advancing a loan of £100.00 provided a creamery along the lines of those advocated by Sir Horace Plunket who is perceived as the founder of the Irish creamery movement. To put the archbishop’s loan into perspective the site of the new creamery was purchased for £10.00 plus ten £1 shares in Inch Cramery. By 1900 there were over 800 co-operatives in the country of which 350 were creameries.
One of the oldest illustrative items in the Glanbia Collection is a view of the old Barrowvale Creamery at Goresbridge which buildings have been subsumed into later developments on the site which is just of the Main St., at Goresbridge, very near the bridge from which ‘Goresbridge’ derives its name : the really old name for the area as opposed to the site at the bridge was Grange Silvae. The surname Gore commemorates a family of that name which built the nearby Barrowmount House in the very early years of the eighteenth century, which for many years in the last century was owned by Jack Donohoe formerly of Lower Grange and Ballellen, whose family would have supplied milk to Barrowvale. Jack Donohoe and his wife Lulu are best remembered to-day for their ownership in the 1960s of the famous mare, Height O’ Fashion.
Other archival collections
Kilkenny Archives is also home to the following collections: The Prior-Wandesforde Family Papers ; The Barton of Ballyline (Callan) Papers ; The Paper of the Estate Office of Kilkenny (A.G. Davis) ; Kilkenny Castle Papers ; Gowran Castle Papers; Kavanagh Estate Papers, Ballyragget ; The Maidenhall-Lavistown Papers; The Briggs-Swifte Papers; The Wheeler-Cuffe Papers of Lyrath and The Papers of The Praesidium of Our Lady Queen of Charity (Legion of Mary).
Kilkenny Archives website is: www.kilkennyarchives.com. Their direct land line number 056-7753622. Arising from this extended facility Kilkenny Archives are in a position to accept further donations.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.