17 Aug 2022

Butler sent forward for trial

A MAN charged with murdering a fellow party-goer at a drink-fuelled binge in Waterford in January has been sent forward for trial.

A MAN charged with murdering a fellow party-goer at a drink-fuelled binge in Waterford in January has been sent forward for trial.

Michael O’Dwyer (25), from Kilkenny city, died after being attacked and stabbed at 30 Seafield Holiday Homes in the Riverstown area of Tramore on January 8.

At the District Court in Waterford yesterday, the book of evidence was served on fellow Kilkenny native, Tadhg Butler aka Thomas O’Grady (32), with an address at the Tramore chalet.

Mr Butler was arrested shortly after Mr O’Dwyer was attacked at his Riverstown home. At a special sitting of the District Court in the city a couple of days later, he was charged with murdering the deceased. A High Court bail application was previously refused and the accused has been in custody since his arrest and subsequent charge. However, Solicitor Kenneth Cunningham told Judge Kevin Staunton that another application would be made at the higher court “in due course”. Inspector John Mulligan told Judge Staunton that the Director of Public Prosecutions consented to serve the book on March 3rd last, while an order for statements was made at the court yesterday.

Judge Staunton issued Mr Butler with an alibi warning yesterday and indicated that he would send the accused forward for trial on “count number one” to the present sittings of the Central Criminal Court. Legal aid was certified for Mr Cunningham and two counsel.

It is known that alcohol was being consumed heavily at the Tramore party on the night in question. A call was made for drink to be delivered from the Carry Out off licence on Upper Main St in Tramore. A row broke out shortly after a bottle of Captain Morgans rum and eight cans of Fosters lager were delivered to the chalet in a secluded corner of a cul-de-sac at Seafield.

Mr O’Dwyer, who had been more recently living in Stoneyford, crawled outside after being stabbed during that party. The alarm was raised, with Gardai and paramedics responding. However, despite frantic efforts of medics, he continued to bleed heavily and was pronounced dead at Waterford Regional Hospital shortly within hours. The second-youngest of five, Mr O’Dwyer had been living just outside Stoneyford with his mother Geraldine. His father, Blackie, died in 2011.

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.