Search

18/10/2021

Bookies gets burnt

A SMALL fire broke out in Ladbrokes on High Street shortly after lunch time on Thursday after a new machine that was installed exploded.

A SMALL fire broke out in Ladbrokes on High Street shortly after lunch time on Thursday after a new machine that was installed exploded.

A unit of the fire brigade responded to the fire and quickly had the incident under control.

The new machines were to be unveiled this weekend to allow gamblers bet on matches during the games. Staff in Ladbrokes were told to charge the machines during the night. It is suspected that a fault in the charging of the machines caused the fire.

One of the staff behind the counter, Rosin Nolan had just arrived into work at Ladbrokes when she noticed a strong smell in the shop. Staff originally thought that the smell was nail varnish.

Roisin Nolan was the first to react when the machine exploded. After unplugging all of the new betting machines she threw a kettle of water on the flame to try and put the fire out.

Despite the fire at least one individual attempted to place a bet while smoke rose up behind the counter in Ladbrokes.

The fire brigade arrived and the shop was evacuated until the fire had been put out. A spokesperson for Kilkenny Fire Brigade described the incident as a small electrical fire. The spokesperson said “There was a small electrical device that went on fire and we quickly put it out. The shop was evacuated as there was a lot of smoke. There was no major damage done to the shop, other than the electrical device and the surrounding area.”

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.