A 21-YEAR-OLD man has appeared at Kilkenny District Court charged in relation to a stabbing in the city on Wednesday evening.
Wayne Robinson, 68 Cois Abhainn, Old Burrin Road, Carlow, who was accompanied in court by his parents is charged with assault causing harm and possession of a knife at 13 Lower New Street on Wednesday last.
Sergeant Michael Moloney told the court that he had arrested the defendant and charged hom at Kilkenny Garda Station. In reply to the charges the defendant said ‘sorry’.
The court heard that the 21-year is not working and is on social welfare.
Defence solicitor Michelle Treacey applied for bail on behalf of her client. Inspector Liam Connolly objected to bail on the grounds that two previous bench warrants had been issued in relation to the defendant and added that the DPP is considering further serious charges in relation to the incident.
Judge David Anderson granted bail on condition that an independent surety of 4,000 euro (half of this to be lodged to the court) be made available and that the defendant comply with a number of conditions. He ordered that if bail was granted the defendant would surrender his passport, stay out of Kilkenny city, reside at his home address, observe a curfew and sign on daily at Carlow Garda Station. Judge Anderson remanded the defendant in custody, with consent to bail to appear before Cloverhill District Court on October 21 and granted free legal aid in the case.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.