THE Prior of the Black Abbey Friary has asked for forgiveness after comments made by a priest last week caused some Mass goers to walk out of the church.
Fr Louis Hughes read an apology to Mass goers at the beginning of each Mass over the weekend.
Fr Hughes stated “I am deeply saddened and ashamed by some references in the sermon you heard last Sunday and the hurt I know it has caused to many of you. The views expressed are not mine nor those of the Irish Dominican Province. As Prior of this Dominican community I apologize for the offence caused. I ask your pardon.”
Fr Hughes had not been responsible for the comments which caused outrage last week.
Fr Eddie Conway had preached three Masses over the weekend. Mass goers contacted the Kilkenny People after some had walked out of the church in protest over comments that Fr Conway had made during his sermon.
One Mass-goer who walked out last week described Fr Conway’s speech as alluding to vested interests operating against the church.
Fr Conway had also described the Minsiter for Justice, Alan Shatter as Jewish and non-practising.
Another Mass goer, who also wished to remain anonymous said “He (Fr Conway) said that the scandal was a bad thing but that there was a bigger agenda that would become obvious in the next short while.
“He said that the agenda was being set by people who have a vested interest against the church, including the Minsiter for Justice, who he described as Jewish and non-practicing.”
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.