FARMERS at the Mart at Cilin Hill last Thursday admitted that is wsa ‘a mistake’ that the old Mart site had not been sold a number of years ago.
The comments came following the announcement that Kilkenny’s CityMart is to go into receivership. Both parties involved in the proposed development of the old Mart site on Barrack Street/Castlecomer Road have expressed their disappointment that the joint company has gone into receivership.
“Looking back it is easy to see the mistake but at the time it seemed like a good idea. It is such a shame that so much money has been lost,” said Liam Kennedy from Ballyouskill. Jim Noonan from Cloonen said it was a ‘lovely site’. “It is a pity that they didn’t sell it earlier on. They should have. Greed is a bugger.”
Another local farmer pointed out that ‘a lot of money’ had been lost. “What is going to happen to the site now,” he said. “They should have sold it at the peak of the boom,” he said. Several farmers said that their main concern was that the Mart at Cilin Hill would remain. “It is a pity that they didn’t sell it when prices were good. Hopefully we will be able to hold onto the Mart here,” said John Healy who has lands let in Stoneyford but lives in the city.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.