After weeks of negotiations, agreement has been reached between Kilkenny County Council and residents of the St Mary’s halting site community on the Hebron Road.
Both local authority staff and the Traveller families involved began a clean-up operation on the site last Thursday morning. The community has now undertaken to pay refuse charges, and the area is already looking improved.
Martin Mullally of Kilkenny County Council told the Kilkenny People that an agreement has been reached with the families on site regarding their rent, refuse and other matters.
“Refuse bins were provided to each of the households after the service was previously withdrawn,” he said.
“Families are working with council staff to draw up a landscape proposal for the open space to ensure no further burning of refuse and horses grazing the open space.”
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.