TWO children cheated death when their distraught father rescued them from a smoking car in Loughboy on Sunday afternoon.
The youngsters, aged six months and two years were saved after their father saw smoke coming from the car that was parked directly outside Agat Eastern European Food Store shortly after 2pm on Sunday. Their mother was a short distance away at LIDL shopping when the incident unfolded. “The customer came in and next thing we saw smoke coming out of the car. He rushed out and managed to get them out before it went up in flames. I am still nervous and depressed just thinking about what might have happened,” said Angela who runs the store with her family. The car was in flames within seconds and Kilkenny Fire Service were called to the scene to extinguish the fire.
“I am delighted that they are all okay but it was very frightening. If their father had not got to them in time they would be dead. We spent the day cleaning the smoke and dust out of the shop and trying to come to terms with the shock,” she added.
The family who are originally from Lithuania have been living in Kilkenny for the past six years. “They are all fine, shocked but fine and counting their blessings today,” added Angela.
It is believed that the cause of the fire, which completely destroyed the Volkswagen Passat was accidental.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie