Tasty savour buds will be blooming at this year’s Savour Kilkenny Food Festival (October 15 – 29) which this year sees a major emphasis on the next generation of talented young food producers.
The Savour Young Food Producers Market will return to MacDonagh Junction, on October 29 with over 40 budding producers aged between 10 and 17 years of age delighting visitors with a variety of homemade produce in a buzzing atmosphere.
Lucy Smyth, who along with Shay Bollard of MacDonagh Junction is helping to organise this year’s market, said the feedback from last year’s event was tremendous. “There is great excitement ahead of this year’s Young Food Producers Market when young people get to showcase their talent once more.”
Students from all over Kilkenny will be involved. “The students will benefit hugely from the experience. It gives them a responsibility similar to that of any real-life food producer, and some stalls even came out with profit, which is really something. Any income from sales are kept by the young producers themselves but last year Kilkenny Colleges transition year students donated proceeds to charity, which was a very generous touch.”
There is lots more to whet the appetite of young cooks at this year’s Savour Kilkenny Food Festival. Other events include: Young Chefs Competition with the theme “Local Food Heroes”.
-Young cooks will be challenged to develop a recipe containing ingredients from Kilkenny’s local artisan food producers.
- Savour Taste Buds, a workshop where students can learn more about food and healthy eating under the guidance of celebrity chef Catherine Fulvio.
- The Mad Hatters Tea Party, set in a magic tent in the Castle Yard at Kilkenny Design. The Queen of Hearts and the Mad Hatter himself will provide children with great fun and entertainment
- The Food Art competition aimed at transition year students from 14 schools around Kilkenny.
- Kids Agri-Tour mobile farm sponsored by Dawn meats.
- Get Crafty’ arts and crafts workshop in the National Craft Gallery for all the family.
- Edible Book competition where contestants bake a cake and decorate it in the style of a book cover that inspires them!
- Kiddies Cook-A-Long in the Springhill Court
- ScareFest, a frightening ghost and paranormal tour of the haunted Shankill Castle in Paulstown, Co. Kilkenny
Interest in taking space for the Young Producers Market at MacDonagh Junction is high, so young foodies are advised to book their space as soon as possible. For full details of all the Savour Bud events go to www.savourkilkenny.com
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.