CSO have released the latest in its series of Census 2011 results setting out details of the population by age and showing that in 2011 the average age of the population of Kilkenny increased by 0.6 years since 2006.
It also showed that the rural population of Kilkenny was older than in urban areas by 1.4 years on average. The average age of females in the county exceeded that of males by 1.1 years.
The rate of age dependency is higher that the national average - in Kilkenny the young dependency was 33.9% and the old dependency was 18.7%, - an overall total of 52.6% compared to a national average of 49.3%.
The biggest spike in population groups was 0-4 year olds - an increase of 18%.
There were declines in both teenage and young adult categories.
The report profiles the population according to a number of age groups to give a picture of some of the different important sections of the population: pre-school children (aged 0-4), primary school aged children (aged 5-12), secondary school age (13-18), young adults (18-24), adults (25-64) and elderly people (aged 65 years and over), and looks at some of the characteristics of each age group including by area, accommodation, household composition and marital status.
Age dependency is a measure of the extent to which the young (aged 0-14) and older (age 65 and over) populations are dependent on the population of working age people, defined as those aged 15 to 65 years.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.