Search

16/10/2021

Council undeterred by public protest as CAS set to continue

The CAS protest march at the Parade. Picture: Michael Brophy.
Last Saturday’s public protest will not deter Kilkenny local authorities from proceeding with the Central Access Scheme, the county manager has confirmed.

Last Saturday’s public protest will not deter Kilkenny local authorities from proceeding with the Central Access Scheme, the county manager has confirmed.

Following enquiries to the council, Joe Crockett issued a statement yesterday to the Kilkenny People in which he again referred to the original decision by An Bord Pleanala to grant approval.

“The issue of archaeological heritage which was raised at the meeting addressed by Cllr Noonan on Saturday was raised previously with An Bord Pleanala,” he said.

“The Board decided, having examined the Environmental Impact Assessment Report which dealt with archaeology, and the objections made to it in relation to cultural heritage, that access to the city centre was vital for Kilkenny and that the new bridge should proceed and that any archaeological issues could be dealt with in the normal way under the supervision of the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht.”

The county manager also said that ‘a new bridge is essential for cyclists, pedestrians and for city centre traffic’. He added that the new uses proposed for the brewery site pointed to the need for new bridge infrastructure. A proposal for a new research and enterprise campus on the site was recently approved by both borough and county councils.

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.