Do not respond to this email
An Garda Síochána has alerted the public to a ‘phishing’ scam whereby people are being contacted about jury duty from a fake email account.
"They are being contacted by an email claiming to be from the Department of Justice and Equality, but will use the words like ‘Ireland Justice Department’ and will come from the email address firstname.lastname@example.org," gardaí explained.
The body of text asks people to register for jury service by clicking on the link, ‘justice.ie’. When clicked on it redirects people to a cloned website, where a person’s name, date of birth and PPS number is sought.
Gardaí are advising the public as follows:
• Do not respond to unsolicited emails
• Do not click onto links contained within them
• Do not give away any personal data
• Report the matter to An Garda Siochana
• Be aware that the public are never asked to register for jury service in this manner as people are contacted by summons for jury service by the County Registrar.
More information is available from Courts Services via www.courts.ie/jury-service
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.