Unbeaten ’Boro bow out of Feile

KILKENNY SIDE, Dicksboro received a warm welcome from their hosts, Moate when they arrived for Féile peil on Friday but there was little time to relax.

KILKENNY SIDE, Dicksboro received a warm welcome from their hosts, Moate when they arrived for Féile peil on Friday but there was little time to relax.

A few hours later they were down to the business at hand. They started their first game playing into a diagonal wind which would have favoured their hosts, Moate. Direct running football helped give the ’Boro the edge and they were in front at the end of the first half of 15 minutes (2-3 to 0-1).

The fare in the second period was not as fluid or free flowing as the ‘Boro management team of Donal Carroll, Declan Gough, Tom O’Donoghue and Sean Moore took advantage of their dominance to use their panel. Dicksboro won by 2-4 to 0-2.

There was little time to spare following some refreshments as the panel were bussed to Portlaoise, assembling in O’Moore Pk for the Feile parade. This is always one of the highlights of Féile as each team marches along the streets of Portlaoise, proudly sporting their colours.

It was an early start on Saturday to make the 16 mile journey to Cloghan, Co. Offaly, home of St Rynagh’s GAA club for the remaining two group matches. The first of which started at 10am and was against St Rynagh’s.

This turned out to be the most competitive game in the group. Rynagh’s were quickest off the mark and they posted three points on the scoreboard within six minutes. The ‘Boro got a lucky break when a sideline kick carried the ball straight to the net.

On 12 minutes St Rynagh’s were awarded a free which was well struck and the ball dipped just under the crossbar for a goal. Just on half-time, in the 15th minute, the ’Boro again brought the game back to parity when they shot an excellent goal.

At the break the score was 2-0 (D) to 1-3. Rynagh’s started the second half in even better from than the first. They raised the white flag three times in two minutes and they got on top.

These determined ’Boro boys are not that easily beaten. They stormed back. The recovery started in the seventh minute with a point.

St Rynagh’s were held scoreless for the remainder of the half. During the same time Dicksboro added two more points to draw the game, 2-3 to 1-6. Dicksboro were now level with St Rynagh’s on points in the group, but they needed to put up a big score against Lancashire in their last game to make up score difference to qualify for the knock-out stages.

When this did not seem likely, the management emptied the bench, giving every panel member a run. they still won: Dicksboro 2-6, Lancashire 2-1.

Dicksboro didn’t go through to the latter stages although they were unbeaten and won won two matches and drew the other. The Feile experience was thoroughly enjoyed by all.

To continue reading this archived article for FREE,
please just kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.