Molloy treble leads to ’Green treat

Evergreen 5

Evergreen 5

Bridge United 0

AN AARON Molloy hat-trick propelled Evergreen’s under-16s to cup glory.

The city side proved too sharp for Bridge United at Derdimus on Sunday, denying the Goresbridge men more silverware to go with their League title.

The winners were quick off the mark, needing just seven minutes to open their account. The move was started and finished by Sean Maguire, who picked up a ball in midfield and sprayed it out to Aaron Molloy, before connecting with the return pass at the edge of the box.

Maguire’s shot was low and to the left side of the target. Goalkeeper Aidan Hynes did well to get his hand to the ball, but he couldn’t keep it out of the net.

Bounce back

Although Bridge tried to bounce back – Martin Kavanagh went closest with a header – they were hit by another ’Green goal ten minutes later. Sean Henebry and Adam Farrell did the legwork, working their way down the right until Farrell found enough room to turn a low ball back for Molloy to fire home from the corner of the six-yard box.

Again United were quick to mount a comeback, but couldn’t find a way past Jason Mahoney. They went close when Conor English seized on Martin Kavanagh’s 19th minute pass, but the ’keeper made a fine save. He then saved his side again, getting up to deny Kavanagh from the rebound.

Bridge kept fighting, but their hopes were hit badly when they were reduced to ten men after Kavanagh was red-carded just minutes before the break.

If that was hard to take, Bridge were left reeling when they conceded a third goal nine minutes into the second half. Molloy was in the right place at the right time, pouncing on a Maguire flick-on with a powerful volley that flew past Hynes.

Extra man

Working with the extra man Evergreen made the advantage count. Killian Cantwell hit the post on the hour mark, lashing the ball off the goal frame after getting on the end of Maguire’s free-kick.

Staying on the attack they made it 4-0 in the 72nd minute, Molloy wrapping up his hat-trick when he sprinted past his marker and smashed Eamonn O’Reilly’s long clearance to the back of the net.

The Cup winners weren’t finished yet, and added one last flourish in the dying seconds. Sean Maguire bagged his second of the day, and a fifth for Evergreen, when he gathered a long ball and fired a low shot to the bottom right corner of the Bridge net.

Evergreen A: Jason Mahoney, Sean Henebry (Ben Hickey, 75 mins), Colm Varian, Killian Cantwell, James Bradfield, Mark Lyons, Eddie Teehan (David Kenny, 66 mins), Adam Farrell (Eamonn O’Reilly, 61 mins), Sean Maguire, Andy Hickey (Ray Hickey, 68 mins), Aaron Molloy.

Bridge United: Aidan Hynes, Sam Sheridan (Joe Kelly, 73 mins), Johnny Byrne (Keith Flavin, 75 mins), Peter Shaw, Colin Hynes (Ciaran Canavan, 75 mins), Gavin Bourke, Conor English (Dion Wall, 58 mins), Martin Kavanagh, Nathan West, Sean Murphy (Josh Lynam, 48 mins), Jack Murphy.

Referee: Pat O’Connor. Linesmen: Pat Conroy, Eoin Walsh.

To continue reading this archived article for FREE,
please just kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.