06 Dec 2021

Title on ice for Evergreen A

EVERGREEN A will have to wait a little longer if they are to get their hands on the Premier Division title after Thomastown United A crashed the party.

EVERGREEN A will have to wait a little longer if they are to get their hands on the Premier Division title after Thomastown United A crashed the party.

The Kells Road was all set to celebrate the coronation of their A team as top flight champions for the fourth season in a row on Friday evening, but an Aaron Broaders goal ensured the bubbly was kept on ice for a little longer.

Thomastown may have come into the game with little to play for, but United refused to play second fiddle. Andy Kavanagh shot them in front in the opening half, a goal cancelled out before half-time by David Grincell. Had the game stayed that way Evergreen would have been within one point of the title, but Broaders struck from the spot in the second half to dash the home side’s hopes and smash their 100% record.

The result was enough to move Thomastown into second place overall, but not for long. Freebooters A resumed that berth when they beat Evergreen B 4-0 on Sunday morning. Niall Kiely grabbed a double for the Blues, with Julian O’Keeffe and Ger Hayes also getting in on the act.

Although Evergreen A and Freebooters A still have to play each other again, Evergreen A can clinch the spoils should they beat Evergreen B this Sunday.

Solid win

They might have missed out on the league title, but East End United A kept themselves in the hunt for silverware with a solid win in the quarter-finals of the Division One Cup.

United moved into the final four of the competition thanks to a 3-0 win away to Urlingford on Sunday.

Paul Murphy (2) and Kevin Brennan on his debut scored for the Bennettsbridge club who could have had more but spurned two chances from the penalty spot. The game also had a family affair about it for the winners as the father, son and nephew trio of David, Luke and Wayne Dowling all lined out for East End!

Newpark A were also impressive winners in their quarter-final, travelling to Callan’s Fair Green and coming home on the right side of a 4-0 scoreline.

Finalists last year, Newpark made light work of the Callan challenge thanks to goals from Tommy Donovan and Tommy Comerford. Former Callan player Tony Delaney returned to haunt his old side, scoring twice also as they kept up their aims of adding the cup to the league title.

The biggest Cup winners of the weekend were Stoneyford United, who gave Highview Athletic a miserable morning when they won 5-0 in Harristown.

James Moran did the most of the scoring, hitting the net four times. Martin Murray also got on the scoresheet as Stoney’ comfortably made the semi-finals.

AC Kilkenny A also advanced to the final four. The Cup holders were given a 3-0 walkover by Southend United.

The semi-final draw has kept last year’s finalists apart. AC Kilkenny will have home advantage against Stoneyford, while Newpark will host East End in a meeting of the promoted sides.

Up for grabs

The Cup has yet to be contested, but there is still plenty to play for in Division Two with the league title still up for grabs.

Tullaroan are still in the driving seat, but couldn’t clinch the silverware after a 0-0 stalemate with Brookville on Thursday. However, a similar result away to Evergreen C this week will see them earn the title and promotion.

The second place is two-horse race between Freshford Town and Newpark B. Freshford have a two-point advantage on the city side, but played their final league game in an eight-goal thriller against Evergreen C on Sunday. Three points would have left them in a stronger promotion position, but the 4-4 draw may have given Newpark the edge.

Newpark had to settle for a point as well, drawing 1-1 with Thomastown United B (Richie Denieffe and Marty Lawrence were the scorers) but a win at home to Brookville in their next league game will see Newpark B earn promotion, just like the club’s A team.

Meanwhile in the Division Three Cup Bridge United B got the better of Orchard Rovers in their two-legged semi-final. Bridge will have a chance to complete a league and cup double in the final this Sunday when they take on St Anne’s in Derdimus.

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.