08 Aug 2022

Mooncoin kept best win until last

Mooncoin kept best win until last

Mooncoin produced a storming finish to come from behind to defeat battling Galmoy in the junior hurling championship.

Ten minutes into the second half of this clash in Danesfort on Sunday, Galmoy led by 1-10 to 0-6.

However, they only managed to record one more point while Mooncoin went into overdrive and registered 1-9 during the same period.

The final score was Mooncoin 1-15, Galmoy 1-11.

Galmoy opened backed by the strong breeze. They struck four wides by the 8th minute, a malaise that was to strike Mooncoin also when they had use of the elements later.

Two Phil Russell frees and a point each from Noel Doherty and Kevin Duggan saw Galmoy lead by 0-4 to no score before Ethan Ryan took a pass from Eamonn Hennebry to open his side’s account.

Their second came from a Kevin Crowley free on the quarter hour mark.

Ethan Ryan sent in a long delivery which Eamonn Hennebry grabbed and pointed in the 16th minute. Brendan Phelan bounced off three men before sending over an inspirational reply for Galmoy.

A minute later Niall Doherty was fouled well inside his own half. Jason Stanley landed a point from over 100 metres.

There were no scores for a long period as both sides fluffed chances.

In the 26th minute Eddie Kelly brought off a tremendous save from Paul Hennebry at a time when a Mooncoin goal might have stunned Galmoy. When the resultant 65 was put wide, Galmoy took hope.

Another huge pointed free from Jason Stanley stretched their lead before they raised the green.

Phil Russell sent in a line ball from 50 metres which was won by Donnacha Gray. Gray’s quick hand-pass to Noel Doherty ended with the latter goaling.

Phil Russell and Mark Fitzgerald exchanged late points to leave Galmoy ahead by 1-8 to 0-4 at the interval.

Eoin Hennebry had a huge first half for Mooncoin. He seemed to be loose throughout and he repelled a huge amount of Galmoy attacks.

At the other end Jason Stanley was a real commanding figure in the Galmoy rearguard. Niall Doherty, too, was warming to the task after a six week break through injury.

Keith Kirwan was introduced to the Mooncoin attack to telling effect after the break. Straight off the throw-in they had a good point from Conor Brophy.

Phil Russell replied from a free before strong centre-forward, Cormac Fleming pointed for the Southerners.

Martin Phelan was introduced for Galmoy and his first contribution was to set up Noel Doherty for a 39th minute point. A point each from Mooncoin midfielders, Ethan Ryan and Kevin Crowley (free) narrowed the gap, 1-10 to 0-8.

When Noel Doherty sent over a Galmoy point in the 46th minute, it was hard believed it was to be their last score.

As the breeze strengthened, Mooncoin stepped up to the plate. Their defence showed a no nonsense approach and completely shut up shop with Niall Blanchfield, Cormac Daly and Eoin Hennebry mopping up everything that Galmoy could throw at them.

Their subs too made a big contribution. Alan Walsh was introduced at centre-forward in the 43rd minute and five minutes later he was at the end of a move involving Ethan Ryan and Eamonn Hennebry to strike to the corner of the Galmoy net, 1-11 to 1-8.

Walsh went on to land two more points from play and must have put his name forward for selection the next day.

Seized Initiative

This inspired Mooncoin and they now seized the initiative over a tiring Galmoy. Their cause was helped by a series of errors by Galmoy players, who coughed up at least four simple points to the opposition.

With the bit between their teeth, Mooncoin totally dominated the closing eight minutes. They pointed at will to seal their place in the next round.

Mooncoin are a strong, physical side who will relish the October weather conditions. They will come on no end after this result.

Galmoy hit just 1-6 from play. When one considers that 1-3 of that came off the stick of 37-year-old Noel Doherty, with Phil Russell also contributing, one wonders what might have happened had more forwards stepped up in support.

Mooncoin - Eoin Purcell; Niall Mackey, Niall Blanchfield, Liam Hennebry; Cormac Daly, Eoin Hennebry, Conor Brophy (0-1); Ethan Ryan, capt (0-4, two frees), Kevin Crowley (0-2, frees); Paul Hennebry, Cormac Fleming (0-1), David Kearns; Mark Fitzgerald (0-1), Eamon Hennebry (0-3), John Fitzgerald. Subs: Keith Kirwan, Seamus Kearns, Alan Walsh (1-2), Patrick Walsh (0-1), Michael Grace,

Galmoy - Eddie Kelly; Kieran Phelan, Jason Stanley, capt (0-2, frees), Sean Phelan; Martin Duggan, Niall Doherty, John Phelan; Brendan Phelan (0-1), Frank Phelan; Kevin Duggan (0-1), Tom Phelan (Bawn), Phil Russell (0-4, three frees); Stephen Murphy, Donnacha Gray, Noel Doherty (1-3). Subs - Martin Phelan, Brandon Phelan, Stephen Delaney.

Referee - Paul Cahill (Dunnamaggin).

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.