The Kilkenny Comhairle na nÓg has received approval from the Kilkenny County Council’s committee on arts, culture, heritage, tourism and education to turn the graffiti on the Ossory Bridge into a work of art. The project will also involve removing litter around the site as part of a general clean-up.
They have engaged graffiti artist Robert Sloboda to work with groups on this project, and they are now inviting groups made up of young people ages 12-19 years to make submissions of pictures or drawings of graffiti they want to work on.
To maximise the use of available resources, they ask groups to:
• Include at least two different pictures or drawings of the graffiti wanted (specifying preferred paint colours)
• As this is a public art project, images/messages likely to be considered offensive or that are not in the spirit of young people will not be approved.
• Groups are encouraged to apply early and to limit the number of participants to six people (who will be physical involved with painting of the graffiti).
• Spaces on the bridge will be allocated by members of the Comhairle in consultation with groups (one space per group)
• Groups are encouraged to visit the Ossory Bridge to orientate themselves with the place.
• The Comhairle will supply paint and other materials needed for this project but groups are allowed to bring their own materials.
• Groups must commit to finishing their artwork and to meeting with the Comhairle and the graffiti artist before artwork begins.
The deadline for submissions is 5pm on July 11. The painting of graffiti will take place on July 29; times will be communicated to successful groups before this date.
Applications should be sent to The chairperson, Kilkenny Comhairle na nÓg c/o Ossory Youth, Desart Hall, New Street, Kilkenny. For more information, contact Jacinta or Joseph on 056 7761200 or 087 8876366 or 087 9379546.